Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical I thought it was 2 weeks to get adjusted to less sleep?

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    I've been trying to get used to 5 to 8 hours of sleep, 6.5 hours per day on average for a month now. There are still some days where I just want to sleep in, and if I do sleep in I'll oversleep for 12 hours. Here is the thing, I can easily run on less than 7 hours of sleep, but when I wake up I always feel tired for the first 10 minutes upon waking, but that's probably normal. Then a few hours later, while sitting in class, I'll want to go for a nap, but it's easy to stay awake. When I get home from school I'll get the same sensation - again, it's easy to stay awake.

So, how much longer until my body gets used to 6 to 8 hours of sleep, everyday? If I sleep in during the weekends, will this hamper my "adaptive progress"? Should I really try and wake up at the same time every day, regardless if I'll only sleep for 3 to 5 hours before waking?

Other notes: In the last 2 years, I was used to sleeping in for longer hours; I stayed in bed anywhere from 9 to 12 hours. I sometimes forced myself back to sleep because it just feels so comfortable... my bed.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm I know exactly what you are talking about... I want to stay in bed a little longer because it's so cozy and warm, and afterwards I hate myself for spoiling half my morning. When I get up early, I have no problems at all, but the next day I'm tired (even if I get a long night's sleep that night), especially around 11 am and in the late afternoon (around 4).

So basically, this is a auto-subscribe-to-thread post :smile:

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You can't train yourself to need less sleep: you need what you need and the need is essentially cumulative (when you sleep late on the weekend, you are making up for the deprivation during the week).

You can, however, reduce the need by living a healthier lifestyle. Exercise, in particular, improves sleep and reduces the duration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook