Slope of position vs time squared graph?

In summary, the slope of a position vs time squared graph does not represent velocity or acceleration. It is only an approximation of the speed at a specific instant, calculated by using the tangent line to the graph. To determine the units of the "m" in the equation, unit analysis can be used.
Tim Wellens

Homework Statement

What would the slope of a position vs time squared graph represent?

Homework Equations

X=my^2+b

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the slope of this graph would be velocity due to the fact that the normal position vs time graph slopes are velocity. However, I was told that the slope isn't velocity or acceleration. I'm not sure if it's correct or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is in thinking that such a graph has a "slope". Strictly speaking "slope" is only defined for linear equations. If you mean "x= mt^2+ b" where t is time, measured in, say, seconds, while s is measured in meters, then the slope, not of the graph, but of the tangent line to the graph then we are approximating the quadratic function by a linear function, with x a distance and t time, then the slope of the tangent line is the speed at that instant.

(I notice that you have used "y" instead of the standard "t" for time so it is possible that y refers to something other than time. If that is true, what does "y" represent?)

Why don't you start with unit analysis? For each of the known quantities in the formula plug in a unit that would be associated with it. For example, if X is a distance, plug in the unit "meter". Then since for all physics equations the units must balance, determine what units the "m" in the formula must have in order for things to balance.

What is the significance of a slope of position vs time squared graph?

The slope of a position vs time squared graph represents the acceleration of an object. This is because the position vs time squared graph is equivalent to a velocity vs time graph, and the slope of a velocity vs time graph is acceleration.

How is the slope of a position vs time squared graph calculated?

The slope of a position vs time squared graph can be calculated by taking any two points on the graph and finding the change in position over the change in time squared. This will give the average acceleration between those two points.

What does a positive slope on a position vs time squared graph indicate?

A positive slope on a position vs time squared graph indicates that the object is accelerating in the positive direction. This means that its velocity is increasing over time.

What does a negative slope on a position vs time squared graph indicate?

A negative slope on a position vs time squared graph indicates that the object is accelerating in the negative direction. This means that its velocity is decreasing over time.

Can the slope of a position vs time squared graph ever be zero?

Yes, the slope of a position vs time squared graph can be zero. This would indicate that the object is moving at a constant velocity, since the slope of a velocity vs time graph is also zero at a constant velocity.