Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sloppy Proof in Spivak's Calculus?

1. Jun 11, 2012 #1
    So I was reading Spivak's Calculus for fun and I found on the bottom of page 25, 4th edition:
    Suppose that [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] were rational; that is, suppose there were natural numbers p and q such that [itex]\frac{p^{2}}{q^{2}} = 2[/itex].
    We can assume that p and q have no common divisor (since all common divisors could be divided out to begin with). Now we have
    p[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 2q[itex]^{2}[/itex].
    This shows that p[itex]^{2}[/itex] is even, and consequently p must be even; that is p = 2k for some natural number k. Then
    p[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 4k[itex]^{2}[/itex]=2q[itex]^{2}[/itex],
    so 2k[itex]^{2}[/itex] = q[itex]^{2}[/itex].
    This shows that q[itex]^{2}[/itex] is even, and consequently q is even. Thus both p and q are even, contradicting the fact that p and q have no common divisor. This contradiction completes the proof.

Am I missing something or is this proof not complete and sloppy?! Spivak didn't even consider the possibility that q is odd and p is even; in which case, we can write p as 2k and q as 2m+1 and THEN check the equivalency. In this case we find that two sides won't be equivalent when we substitute 2k and 2m+1 in the given equation and that would complete the proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2012 #2
    The line [itex] 2k^2=q^2 [/itex] implies that [itex]q^2[/itex] is even which in turn implies that [itex]q[/itex] is even. To recap the whole proof, assume [itex]\sqrt{2}=p/q[/itex], a reduced fraction. [itex]p^2/q^2=2 [/itex] implies that p must be even which then implies that q must be even which implies that the fraction is not reduced which is a contradiction.

4. Jun 11, 2012 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He did consider that case. After he divides out any common factors, there are 3 possible cases left
    p is odd and q is even
    p is even and q is odd
    p is odd and q is odd

He then proves that actually both p and q must be even, which means they still have a common factor.

You made a different (and correct) proof of one of the three cases, but Spivak's proof handles all three cases at once by showing they are all impossible

5. Jun 11, 2012 #4
    Ahh I see how that completes the proof! The line I was looking at was p[itex]^{2}[/itex]=2q[itex]^{2}[/itex]. This line suggests that p is even but q can be even or odd. If q is even we have contradiction as we assumed that common divisors were taken care of. So q must be odd and then we can move on to show LHS [itex]\neq[/itex] RHS after substitution of p as 2k and q as 2m+1 in the equation p[itex]^{2}[/itex]=2q[itex]^{2}[/itex]
    But writing p as some number 2k is definitely more efficient.

Thanks a lot!

6. Jun 11, 2012 #5
    Yes! I see it now. Thanks a lot :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook