1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small Circular Acceleratioon Question

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    A wheel of 0.50 m radius rotates at 15 rev/s. What is the acceleration at its outer rim in m/s2

They want tangential acceleration right? Is there anyway to solve this without angular velocity/speed as we haven't learned that yet. This is part of the practice questions for my midterm on Work/Energy and Kinematics, so I'm looking for one of those methods to solve it.

The answer is 4.4x103 m/s2 but I can't seem to get that. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

What did you get and how did you get it?

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3
    I was using T=2piR/V to get V and then using that in a=V^2/R but a friend pointed out the 15 rev/s is frequency, and so I'm not sure of an equation for that.

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4

lewando

Gold Member

T = 1/f. If the frequency is 15 revolutions/s, how many seconds would it take for 1 revolution? Your formula for acceleration is for radial acceleration, not tangential. Since the answer is non-zero, question refers to radial.

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5
    Yes I get that frequency means it will be 1/15 but what equation can I use to get tangential?

7. Oct 14, 2012 #6

lewando

Gold Member

atangential = dV/dt.

8. Oct 14, 2012 #7
    oh okay. I was thinking about how to get that equation, how do I get time and velocity though? From the Period equation: T=2piR/V but this time T= 1/15 and solve for V?

9. Oct 14, 2012 #8

lewando

Gold Member

Not sure if you are on the right track per your tangential acceleration inquiry. V can be found from the period equation. You are looking for aradial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook