Are Gorillas More Intelligent Than We Thought?

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
In summary: After a while, the tribe gradually becomes more daring and begins to hit the mannequin with more force, until eventually they kill it.In summary, researchers left a life-size leopard mannequin inside a monkey tribe's territory. The monkey tribe became daring and began to hit the mannequin with more force, until eventually they killed it.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/29/AR2005092901934.html

"The first instance was observed last October when a female gorilla (nicknamed Leah by scientists) attempted to wade through a pool of water created by elephants, but found herself waist deep after only a few steps. Climbing out of the pool, she retrieved a branch from a dead tree and used the stick to test the depth of the water."

This is quite an amazing discovery. Who would have thought Gorillas were capable of using tools. Give them another million years and they could be building fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it was another variety of ape, but I've seen footage of apes using small sticks to retrieve ants from the colony. They would insert the stick in the hole, allow the ants to cover the stick, then retract it and lick off the ants.

Why didn't you post it in biology forum anyway ? :rolleyes:

There's a species of chimp that uses sticks to crack open nuts. The interesting thing is how the mothers show the kids how to do it, deliberately going slowly through the motions in front of them.

djeipa said:
Why didn't you post it in biology forum anyway ? :rolleyes:

Something like this has a broader appeal.

zoobyshoe said:
There's a species of chimp that uses sticks to crack open nuts.
ooooohh, that looks like bears with chestnuts

djeipa, I have been looking at a number of your posts and they are not appreciated. Please stay on topic.

Thank you very much, I was happy with the news, and appriciated the information brought up by zoobyshoe about how mothers helped kids get over the trouble of learning how to eat nuts. Those GOD blessed MONKEYs should be EDUCATED to be HUMANs rather Monkeys.
I will try to post on topic.

I am not good at evolution, but I think some years later those monkeys might be humans.

Last edited:
djeipa said:
ooooohh, that looks like bears with chestnuts
Oh, that sounds like djeipa with ADD :smile: (Let's go check out the new web games now!)

I watched this PBS program years ago. Researchers leave a life-size leopard mannequin inside a monkey tribe's territory. Upon its discovery, the tribe circle it from a distance and make noises. Then they throw tree branches at it. Finally they gather courage to move closer and hit it with branches (then laugh at how it's not even moving, I guess).

1. What are Smart Gorillas?

Smart Gorillas are a hypothetical concept of gorillas that possess high levels of intelligence, similar to that of humans. It is often portrayed in science fiction and popular culture, but in reality, gorillas do not possess the same cognitive abilities as humans.

2. How do Smart Gorillas differ from regular gorillas?

Smart Gorillas are portrayed as having the ability to communicate with humans, use tools, and solve complex problems. They are also depicted as having a higher level of emotional intelligence, empathy, and self-awareness. Regular gorillas, on the other hand, do not possess these abilities.

3. Is it possible for gorillas to become Smart Gorillas?

While it is not possible for gorillas to develop the same level of intelligence as humans, they do possess a certain level of intelligence and are capable of learning and problem-solving to a certain extent. With proper training and enrichment, gorillas can exhibit impressive cognitive abilities, but they will never reach the level of intelligence portrayed in popular culture.

4. Are Smart Gorillas a real species?

No, Smart Gorillas are not a real species. They are a fictional concept created for entertainment purposes. While there are ongoing studies and research on the cognitive abilities of gorillas, there is no evidence to suggest that they have reached the level of intelligence portrayed in fiction.

5. How do Smart Gorillas impact the scientific community?

Smart Gorillas have sparked discussions and debates in the scientific community about the ethical implications of portraying animals with higher levels of intelligence. It also raises questions about the potential for interspecies communication and the boundaries between humans and animals. However, it is important to remember that Smart Gorillas are a fictional concept and should not be seen as a representation of real gorillas.

Back