SO(2n) representation on n complex fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the decomposition of n complex fields into 2n real fields and the resulting SO(2n) symmetry in the Lagrangian. The possibility of representing SO(2n) on the n complex fields explicitly is also mentioned, with the suggestion to work out the generators. However, a clear answer is not provided and the conversation ends with a reference to a related field theory and a textbook chapter on the topic.
hideelo
If I have a lagrangian which has terms of the form ##\Psi^{\dagger}_\mu \Psi^\mu## then I can decompose the n complex ##\Psi## fields into 2n real fields by ##\Psi_\mu = \eta_{2\mu+1} + i\eta_{2\mu}##. When I look at the lagrangian now it seems to have SO(2n) symmetry from mixing the 2n real fields.

Is there any obvious choice of representing SO(2n) on the n complex ##\Psi## fields explicitly?

Physics news on Phys.org
The SU(N) is a ##N^2-1##-dimensional Lie group, while SO(2N) is ##2N(2N-1)/2=2N^2-N## dimensional. So SO(2N) is in this sense larger than SU(N).

vanhees71 said:
The SU(N) is a ##N^2-1##-dimensional Lie group, while SO(2N) is ##2N(2N-1)/2=2N^2-N## dimensional. So SO(2N) is in this sense larger than SU(N).

Youre not wrong, but I don't see how this helps

Well we could work out the generators. The SO(2N) generator mixing ##\eta_{2\mu+1}## and ##\eta_{2\mu}## becomes a U(1) generator acting on ##\Psi_\mu##, and SO(2N) generators mixing even indexed ##\eta##'s have the same form when acting on ##\Psi##, and similarly for odd indexed ##\eta##'s. Then there are the SO(2N) generators that mix an even ##\eta## and an odd ##\eta##; I suspect will we need the charge-conjugation operator (which exchanges ##\Psi## and ##\Psi^\dagger##) to express those ...

hideelo said:
Is there any obvious choice of representing SO(2n) on the n complex ##\Psi## fields explicitly?

I worked on a field theory with the same enlarged symmetry a few years ago, see here: https://arxiv.org/abs/1603.05652

For my purposes, I was largely interested in how the SU(N) irreps fit inside the larger SO(2N) irreps, see section IV (page 21). I have a mapping between the creation operators in the SU(N) and SO(2N) notation in equations 55-56, but I don't think my mapping implies a simple SO(2N) action on the complex field itself. So I don't have a good answer for you, but maybe looking at what I did will help.

Also, chapter 23 of Georgi's textbook is entirely dedicated to [itex]SU(N) \subset SO(2N)[/itex].

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the significance of SO(2n) representation on n complex fields?

SO(2n) representation on n complex fields is important in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics. It describes the possible symmetries of a system with n complex fields, and can help determine the behavior and properties of particles within the system.

2. How is SO(2n) representation related to the concept of spin in quantum mechanics?

Spin is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. SO(2n) representation is related to spin because it is a mathematical framework for understanding the symmetries of spin systems. Specifically, SO(2n) is the group of rotations in n-dimensional complex space, which is relevant for particles with spin.

3. Can you give an example of a physical system that exhibits SO(2n) representation?

One example of a physical system that exhibits SO(2n) representation is the hydrogen atom. In this system, the electron's spin can be described using the SO(2) representation, as it has two possible states: spin up and spin down. The SO(2) representation is also applicable to other systems with two possible spin states, such as the spin of a photon.

4. How does SO(2n) representation differ from other types of representations, such as SU(n) representation?

SO(2n) representation differs from other types of representations in terms of the type of transformations it describes. While SO(2n) represents rotations in complex space, SU(n) represents unitary transformations in complex space. Additionally, SO(2n) is a real group, while SU(n) is a complex group. These differences have important implications in the study of different physical systems.

5. What are the applications of SO(2n) representation in physics?

SO(2n) representation has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics. It is used to describe the symmetries of various physical systems, such as atomic and nuclear structures. It is also used in the development of quantum field theories, which are essential for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions.