1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So do you think using modern physics creates new areas in mathematics?

1. Aug 2, 2014 #1
    Hello people,

I just joined the physics forum and it's great to see that they're other physics enthusiasts on the internet!

The reason why modern physics is appreciable for me is that it creates new areas in mathematics like this for example brought up from Michio Kaku... "String theory exists in 10 and 11 dimensional hyperspace. Not only that, but these dimensions are super. They're super symmetric. A new kind of numbers that mathematicians never talked about evolved within string theory. That's how we call it "super string theory." Well, the mathematicians were floored. They were shocked because all of a sudden out of physics came new mathematics, super numbers, super topology, super differential geometry.

What Michio Kaku stated really got me interested in physics. In the near future I'd like combine it with Engineering (when I transfer to it) as a dual degree or double degree at Monash University (Clayton Campus).

Anyways Nice to meet you all :).

Also discuss/argue about this!:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2014 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I don't think that this is limited to modern physics. Calculus came about largely in order to solve physics problems.

4. Aug 2, 2014 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, I don't think it's very wrong of me to say that physics has always been the number one inspiration of mathematics. Probably 95% of the math I know can eventually be traced back to something in physics.

That said, I think you'll find that there aren't many fans of Michio Kaku on this forum :tongue: Why don't you check out Feynman instead of Kaku. Kaku pales in comparison :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgaw9qe7DEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdZMXWmlp9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3pYRn5j7oI

And then of course his brilliant Feynman lectures.

5. Aug 2, 2014 #4
    My bad I didn't worded it to properly just got to excited. I think calculus was invented by Isaac Newton to find out the gravity problem and he had the physical application in mind but the mathematics behind it was missing. I think it had been mentioned that physics and maths were once born together.

Alright will check him out now. Never heard of him and I'm new to this physics game.

Thanks man :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  6. Aug 2, 2014 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Kaku might be a smart physicist (he certainly knows his stuff), but Feynman is the real deal! His physical intuition is in the high genius range. But unlike many other genius physicists, he is also a brilliant teacher and communicator. And there are also tons of funny anecdotes of situations involving him, some of which do sound quite farfetched...

7. Aug 2, 2014 #6
    Dear friends I want to mension three great Genius persons among many equally Genius
    1. Ramanujan who developed super mathematics without its demand in Physics at that time around 1920.Later it might be directly or indirectly used for Physics(e.g.,crystellography and string theory)
    2.Before Einstein's application of Geometry to his theory,this Geometry was purely Mathematics.
    3.Gregori Perelmans astounding sulutions given toPoincare's problem posed in 1904.Now it may be used to explain intrcacies of universe.

I understand that mathematics is a language to explain any thing in the physical universe and may be in the thought universe(probably non physical! Because we know There are Laws of THOUGHT,BOOLEAN ALGEBRA.........)
    THIS Language can continue to grow with logic irrespective of its application anywhere.
    Your thinking is rigght that due to demand in Physics new mathematics is developed but that is not all.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook