Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So I want to learn a martial art.

1. May 20, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm probably not going to have time this summer to learn a martial art, but I've been considering it for a while. The next time I have a chance, I think I am going to take one up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a particular martial art. I want one that will be able to increase my agility and endurance and I also want to be able to use it to defend myself if need be.(I guess all martial arts fall under this category. I just know I heard stuff about Judo and how its not really meant to be used in actual fights etc. Hopefully I won't be getting into too many fights, but you know, just in case.:rolleyes: )

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2007 #2
    I would not recomend using martial arts to defend yourself unles you want to get yourself hurt. Block kick punch wont do you much good against a gun or knife in the hands of a crazy. When you take karate the guys always stabbing at you and you grab his hand and twist it and its all so nice and controlled. Id like to see you block the guy that comes at you and then stealthily takes out a knife and hacks like a nut.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  4. May 20, 2007 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good point. I still would like to learn one though, for several reasons..I would just like to know one.... Also, its not like it can hurt to know a martial art.

5. May 20, 2007 #4
    Learn one if you want to, I used to do it when I was a kid. Now I dont care for it. Theres nothing wrong with it, its just that I would not use it to defend myself.

If someone were coming at me at the bar, I wouldnt go HIYAAA block block block kick kick.............id probably just grab a bar stool and bash his head in with it (and hed probably do that to you too).

6. May 20, 2007 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Man, you have no idea what you're talking about.

7. May 20, 2007 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Again, you know nothing.

8. May 20, 2007 #7
    Thanks, chuck norris.

Unless your really, really good at martial arts. You an't gonna defend yourself against an attacker.

9. May 20, 2007 #8
    Any type of mixed martial arts would work well. But then again you have to consider that getting hit in the head so much may not be too productive for your academics ;)

10. May 20, 2007 #9

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I still think it can't hurt to know a martial art. Yes, that crazy guy with a knife probably is not going to throw a controlled blow, but still martial arts teach you how to block blows in general. I can't imagine I wouldn't be a tiny bit better off knowing a martial art.

11. May 20, 2007 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, if you want to learn martial arts, stay away from Judo and Karate and things like that. They are made for kids and idiots who watch movies.

First thing is first. Don't listen to people who know nothing about it at all. I know nothing, but will just show you where to get started. I have a friend who fights in tournaments like UFC style. Let me tell you that I would never attempt fighting him even with a knife in my hand. When you go to a bar, it's rare that fights involve weapons like knives and guns. So, technically, you can defend yourself for sure in those kind of risks.

Second, why wouldn't I fight my friend with a knife in my hand? Because he is trained to deal will such things and keep his cool and even withstand PAIN from a potential stab. Cyrus makes it sound like you can just run up to a guy and stab them. It's not that easy at all. I doubt Cyrus ever held a knife before because stabbing someone who is trained is not ****ing easy in no way shape or form.

Third, you are trained like I said. My friend will openly let people kick him in the leg as hard you can or punch in the abs as hard as you can. They literally train to take pain and a lot of hits. When he first started, he said he always came home with full of bruises. Again, he chose to train to win. You can choose to train without all the hardcore stuff, but after awhile, you will get to where he is which isn't even that far. I couldn't imagine fighting someone even more advanced than him.

Anyways, this forum is the best place to start that I know of.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Go on and search for other beginner topics. Don't just start another thread about it.

12. May 20, 2007 #11

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks for the advice. I guess I should consider how the head blows would affect me:smile:

13. May 20, 2007 #12

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks alot, Jason. I'll check out the forum. Do you know what arts your friend is trained in?

14. May 20, 2007 #13
    So why should we listen to you then?

I thought I said I did karate long time ago. You're an idiot man.

15. May 20, 2007 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Karate as a kid doesn't even count. They don't even teach real karate to kids. I did it too... big deal.

16. May 20, 2007 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He does Muay Thai. I would personally say that's the best for self-defense because it's mostly grappling base. But personally, I would just look for a MMA training place and they will train you on 1 to 2 things like a grappling martial arts and a bit of striking martial arts. If you live in a big city, there should be a MMA studio somewhere.

17. May 20, 2007 #16

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I will be in a big city Area this summer, maybe I'll check that out.

18. May 20, 2007 #17
    Oh right, they teach 'fake' karate because the class had adults in it as well. Just stop putting your own foot in your mouth every post, will you?

I said do martial arts if you enjoy it and find it fun; but, dont count on using it to save your life unless you're really really good. Read what I write next time chuck.

19. May 20, 2007 #18
    Have you ever seen this guys videos before?

This is how people on the street will fight you, dirty.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  20. May 20, 2007 #19
    Take Jeet Kune Do. Founded by Bruce Lee.

History aside, it is probably the most practical and possibly most powerful art. I am in tae kwon do myself

21. May 20, 2007 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think that cyrus' point is that most people never achieve "master" status and become overly confident in their abilities. I love the Indiana Jones movie where Harrison Ford is attacked by the sword fighting assasin and he just blows him away with his gun. :biggrin:

I think taking a martial arts class just for the balance, agility etc... would be a good thing. Go1 doesn't seem to have any ideas of gaining any special abilities, he's quite grounded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?