Software Development Degree vs CompSci Degree

In summary, having a degree in either Software Development or Computer Science is viewed similarly by employers. However, a Master's degree in either discipline may hold more weight. Additionally, a minor in business, math, engineering, or science can make a candidate more desirable for jobs in specific fields that require knowledge of industry terminology.
Listenupjunior97
I was thinking which degree would open more doors? Would employers look down on me for having a Software Dev degree? Which degree has a better roi?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a software developer degree?

I've heard of a BS in Software Development which to any employer similar to a BS in Computer Science.

I don't think either has an edge over the other. However, a BS vs MS in either discipline then the MS has more clout to an employer by virtue of having more coursework under your belt.

One other thing that can add to your qualifications is a minor in business, math, engineering or some science. This would help secure jobs in fields where employers need developers that understand the field terminology. As an example, having a biology or medical background makes you a better candidate for application software jobs in the medical field.

1. What is the main difference between a Software Development degree and a Computer Science degree?

A Software Development degree focuses on the practical aspects of creating and maintaining software, while a Computer Science degree delves into the theoretical foundations of computing and programming.

2. Which degree is better for pursuing a career in software development?

Both degrees can lead to successful careers in software development. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. A Software Development degree may provide more hands-on experience, while a Computer Science degree may offer a deeper understanding of the underlying principles.

3. Can I get a job as a software developer with a Computer Science degree?

Yes, many software developers have a Computer Science degree. However, you may need to supplement your degree with practical skills and experience in software development to be competitive in the job market.

4. Are there any specific courses that are unique to a Software Development degree or a Computer Science degree?

Yes, each degree may have courses that are unique to its focus. For example, a Software Development degree may have courses in software engineering, project management, and user experience design, while a Computer Science degree may have courses in algorithms, data structures, and computer architecture.

5. Can I switch from one degree to the other if I change my career goals?

It is possible to switch from a Software Development degree to a Computer Science degree or vice versa. However, you may need to complete additional coursework to meet the requirements of the new degree program. It is best to consult with your academic advisor before making a decision.