Online degree vs traditional bachelors degree?

In summary: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed employers take computer science degree because those tend to be abet accredited. Also as I said in a previous post I wan to get an advanced degree someday cause I want to work as a quant hopefully an usually take degrees such as computer science.
KamenRiderTorbjorn
I'm currently looking at colleges to transfer to once I complete my associates. I still deciding on Clemson or USC, but I was also considering Arizona State online since their software engineering program is abet accredited. I was wondering though how would an employer view an online degree compared to a traditional bachelors degree especially in software engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
I'm currently looking at colleges to transfer to once I complete my associates. I still deciding on Clemson or USC, but I was also considering Arizona State online since their software engineering program is abet accredited. I was wondering though how would an employer view an online degree compared to a traditional bachelors degree especially in software engineering?

Why would this matter? Your degree will not say that it is an online degree. So how would your potential employer know?

Zz.

ABET accredited? Online degree? What's missing? Where and how is the lab work assigned and managed? How is the live, in-person supervision provided?

I you want to know more here is the link: http://www.abet.org/accreditation/new-to-accreditation/online-programs/. Also if I do decide to to go Arizona State online will I still be able to go to grad school? Will most employers view it differently since it's not a computer science degree?

KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
I you want to know more here is the link: http://www.abet.org/accreditation/new-to-accreditation/online-programs/. Also if I do decide to to go Arizona State online will I still be able to go to grad school? Will most employers view it differently since it's not a computer science degree?

This is very confusing, and it appears as if you're ignoring everything that I've said.

1. Your transcript and diploma will NOT indicate that you went through an "online" program.

2. So why should this matter with either going to graduate school or potential employers? If it is accredited, it is accredited.

3. The issue of it not being a computer science degree has no relevance to it being an online program. This is now a different topic.

4. Do you want to do software engineering, or computer science? Decide!

If this ignored once more, then I'm done.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is very confusing, and it appears as if you're ignoring everything that I've said.

1. Your transcript and diploma will NOT indicate that you went through an "online" program.

2. So why should this matter with either going to graduate school or potential employers? If it is accredited, it is accredited.

3. The issue of it not being a computer science degree has no relevance to it being an online program. This is now a different topic.

4. Do you want to do software engineering, or computer science? Decide!

If this ignored once more, then I'm done.

Zz.
I want to do software engineering so that's why I asked. I figure since it's a software engineering degree I'll rather do that instead of getting a computer science degree.

KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
I want to do software engineering so that's why I asked. I figure since it's a software engineering degree I'll rather do that instead of getting a computer science degree.

OK, so then why the hesitation in asking about computer science?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
OK, so then why the hesitation in asking about computer science?

Zz.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed employers take computer science degree because those tend to be abet accredited. Also as I said in a previous post I wan to get an advanced degree someday cause I want to work as a quant hopefully an usually take degrees such as computer science.

1. What is the main difference between an online degree and a traditional bachelors degree?

The main difference between an online degree and a traditional bachelors degree is the method of instruction. Online degrees are completed entirely online, while traditional bachelors degrees involve attending classes on a physical campus.

2. Are online degrees considered to be less valuable than traditional degrees?

No, online degrees are not considered to be less valuable than traditional degrees. As long as the online degree is from an accredited institution, it holds the same weight and recognition as a traditional degree.

3. Can I receive the same quality of education from an online degree as I would from a traditional bachelors degree?

Yes, you can receive the same quality of education from an online degree as you would from a traditional bachelors degree. Online degrees often have the same curriculum and learning outcomes as traditional degrees, and the instruction is often delivered by the same professors.

4. Are online degrees more affordable than traditional degrees?

Online degrees can be more affordable than traditional degrees in some cases. Online degrees may have lower tuition costs and do not require additional expenses such as commuting or living on campus. However, this can vary depending on the institution and program.

5. Are there any limitations to what I can study with an online degree compared to a traditional bachelors degree?

There may be some limitations to what you can study with an online degree compared to a traditional bachelors degree. Some hands-on or lab-based programs may not be available online. However, there are now many online degree options in a variety of fields, and technological advancements have made it possible to offer more diverse subjects in an online format.