• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs Online degree vs traditional bachelors degree?

I'm currently looking at colleges to transfer to once I complete my associates. I still deciding on Clemson or USC, but I was also considering Arizona State online since their software engineering program is abet accredited. I was wondering though how would an employer view an online degree compared to a traditional bachelors degree especially in software engineering?

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I'm currently looking at colleges to transfer to once I complete my associates. I still deciding on Clemson or USC, but I was also considering Arizona State online since their software engineering program is abet accredited. I was wondering though how would an employer view an online degree compared to a traditional bachelors degree especially in software engineering?
Why would this matter? Your degree will not say that it is an online degree. So how would your potential employer know?

Zz.

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
ABET accredited? Online degree? What's missing? Where and how is the lab work assigned and managed? How is the live, in-person supervision provided?

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I you want to know more here is the link: http://www.abet.org/accreditation/new-to-accreditation/online-programs/. Also if I do decide to to go Arizona State online will I still be able to go to grad school? Will most employers view it differently since it's not a computer science degree?
This is very confusing, and it appears as if you're ignoring everything that I've said.

1. Your transcript and diploma will NOT indicate that you went through an "online" program.

2. So why should this matter with either going to graduate school or potential employers? If it is accredited, it is accredited.

3. The issue of it not being a computer science degree has no relevance to it being an online program. This is now a different topic.

4. Do you want to do software engineering, or computer science? Decide!

If this ignored once more, then I'm done.

Zz.

This is very confusing, and it appears as if you're ignoring everything that I've said.

1. Your transcript and diploma will NOT indicate that you went through an "online" program.

2. So why should this matter with either going to graduate school or potential employers? If it is accredited, it is accredited.

3. The issue of it not being a computer science degree has no relevance to it being an online program. This is now a different topic.

4. Do you want to do software engineering, or computer science? Decide!

If this ignored once more, then I'm done.

Zz.
I want to do software engineering so that's why I asked. I figure since it's a software engineering degree I'll rather do that instead of getting a computer science degree.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I want to do software engineering so that's why I asked. I figure since it's a software engineering degree I'll rather do that instead of getting a computer science degree.
OK, so then why the hesitation in asking about computer science?

Zz.

OK, so then why the hesitation in asking about computer science?

Zz.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assumed employers take computer science degree because those tend to be abet accredited. Also as I said in a previous post I wan to get an advanced degree someday cause I want to work as a quant hopefully an usually take degrees such as computer science.