Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar System Dynamics, advice for a intern.

1. Nov 9, 2014 #1
    Hello Physics Forums Community,

I have completed ODE, 3 semesters of intro Calc, 3 semesters of intro physics, taking linear now.

I have recently gotten the opportunity to work on little projects with a professor of astrophysics at a university.
    On the first meeting, the professor handed me two packets copied out of Solar system dynamics by Murray and Dermott; Section 6.9 on secular terms from the disturbing function chapter and a section from chapter 2 (the two body problem) on orbit in 3d space.

The first question given to me to get started : Given a jupiter mass planet on a 3AU orbit with a eccentricity of 0.3 what is the eccentricity induced on a earth mass planet on a 1AU, assume central body is 1 solar mass at (0,0,0)

I am profoundly confused on how to even begin to find a answer mainly because the mathematics and nomenclature necessary are assumed knowledge that I don't have, If anyone can tell me where to start as far as learning the needed math/theory to understand whats going on and what resources to use I would very much appreciate it.

Thank You, (MassLengthTime)mltstudnt

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2014 #2

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Can you maybe narrow it down a little for us? Can you give examples of the mathematics and nomenclature you aren't getting? This'll help us figure out where to point you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook