Solar System Dynamics, advice for a intern.

In summary, the speaker has completed several courses in math and physics and is currently working on projects with a professor of astrophysics. The professor gave the speaker two packets from a book on solar system dynamics and asked them to calculate the induced eccentricity on an Earth mass planet by a Jupiter mass planet. The speaker is struggling with the necessary mathematics and terminology and is looking for guidance and resources to better understand the problem.
MLTstudent
Hello Physics Forums Community,

I have completed ODE, 3 semesters of intro Calc, 3 semesters of intro physics, taking linear now.

I have recently gotten the opportunity to work on little projects with a professor of astrophysics at a university.
On the first meeting, the professor handed me two packets copied out of Solar system dynamics by Murray and Dermott; Section 6.9 on secular terms from the disturbing function chapter and a section from chapter 2 (the two body problem) on orbit in 3d space.

The first question given to me to get started : Given a Jupiter mass planet on a 3AU orbit with a eccentricity of 0.3 what is the eccentricity induced on a Earth mass planet on a 1AU, assume central body is 1 solar mass at (0,0,0)

I am profoundly confused on how to even begin to find a answer mainly because the mathematics and nomenclature necessary are assumed knowledge that I don't have, If anyone can tell me where to start as far as learning the needed math/theory to understand what's going on and what resources to use I would very much appreciate it.

Thank You, (MassLengthTime)mltstudnt

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can you maybe narrow it down a little for us? Can you give examples of the mathematics and nomenclature you aren't getting? This'll help us figure out where to point you.

1. What is the Solar System?

The Solar System is a collection of eight planets, their moons, and various other objects that orbit around a central star, the Sun. It also includes asteroids, comets, and dwarf planets.

2. How does the Solar System move?

The Solar System moves in two main ways: rotation and revolution. Rotation is the spinning of a planet or other object on its axis, while revolution is the orbiting of an object around another object.

3. How do scientists study the dynamics of the Solar System?

Scientists study the dynamics of the Solar System through various methods, including using mathematical models, observing celestial bodies with telescopes and spacecraft, and analyzing data from missions and experiments.

4. What are some important factors that affect the dynamics of the Solar System?

Some important factors that affect the dynamics of the Solar System include gravity, the shape and size of planets, the distance between planets, and the influence of other celestial bodies such as the Moon and Jupiter.

5. What advice would you give to an intern interested in studying Solar System dynamics?

My advice would be to gain a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and astronomy. It would also be beneficial to familiarize yourself with computer programming and data analysis techniques. Additionally, take advantage of opportunities to participate in research projects or internships at universities or space agencies.