Sun Orbits Center of Mass w/ Jupiter & Earth: How To Calculate?

In summary, when considering a two-body system such as the Sun and Earth, the common centre of mass is orbited every 365 days. However, when a third body such as Jupiter is added, the motion becomes more complex and can be seen as a 'wobble' in the Sun-Jupiter system. The period of this wobble is equal to the period of the perturbing body. When working in the centre of mass frame, the orbital period of the Sun, Earth, and Jupiter around the centre of mass can be used to calculate their velocities. However, determining the velocity of the Sun around the centre of mass can be more challenging and may require numerical methods. The center of mass itself has no velocity relative to this motion.
whatisreality
I know that if I have a two-body system, the sun and the earth, then the common centre of mass is orbited every 365 days. What about if I add another planet in, say jupiter? Does the sun still orbit the centre of mass every 365 days? With two bodies, their orbital period about the centre of mass is the same. But Jupiter and Earth have different orbital periods, so how do you know how often the sun orbits now, when there are two periods to choose from?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The motion around common centre of mass of the Earth-Sun system can be seen as a 'wobble' in the motion of the Sun-Jupiter system. Or vice versa, depending on chosen reference frame, but considering how the latter is much more pronounced, it's easier to treat as perturbations the influence of the smaller planet.
The period of those wobbles are equal to the period of the perturbing body.

Bandersnatch said:
The motion around common centre of mass of the Earth-Sun system can be seen as a 'wobble' in the motion of the Sun-Jupiter system. Or vice versa, depending on chosen reference frame, but considering how the latter is much more pronounced, it's easier to treat as perturbations the influence of the smaller planet.
The period of those wobbles are equal to the period of the perturbing body.
I want to do everything in the centre of mass frame. So I want the orbital period of the sun, Earth and Jupiter about the centre of mass, so I can work out their velocities around the centre of mass and therefore also the velocity of the centre of mass itself.

But I really don't know how to work out the velocity (particularly of the sun) around the centre of mass. Because I don't know its orbital period about the centre of mass.

Last edited:
whatisreality said:
I want to do everything in the centre of mass frame. So I want the orbital period of the sun, Earth and Jupiter about the centre of mass, so I can work out their velocities around the centre of mass and therefore also the velocity of the centre of mass itself.

But I really don't know how to work out the velocity (particularly of the sun) around the centre of mass. Because I don't know its orbital period about the centre of mass.

You have to figure the positions of all the planets in their orbits. The Sun is on the opposite side of the center of mass for each. Then you add them all up. Not terribly difficult, but non-trivial. That's the numerical way to do it. Analytically, I don't know. You could assume circular orbits as a first cut.
The center of mass itself has no velocity relative to all of that motion.

1. How is the center of mass of the Sun calculated with Jupiter and Earth?

The center of mass, or barycenter, is calculated by taking into account the masses and distances of each object. In this case, the mass of the Sun, Jupiter, and Earth are all considered, as well as their distances from each other. The formula for calculating the barycenter is (m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3) / (m1 + m2 + m3), where m represents mass and x represents distance.

2. Why is it important to calculate the center of mass of the Sun with Jupiter and Earth?

Calculating the center of mass helps us understand the dynamics of the solar system and how the gravitational forces between objects affect their movements. It also allows us to accurately predict the positions of planets and other celestial bodies.

3. How does Jupiter affect the center of mass of the Sun?

Jupiter is the largest planet in our solar system and has a significant mass, which affects the center of mass of the Sun. Its strong gravitational pull on the Sun causes it to orbit around the barycenter, rather than a fixed point. This means that the Sun actually wobbles slightly around the barycenter due to Jupiter's influence.

4. Can the center of mass of the Sun change over time?

Yes, the center of mass of the Sun with Jupiter and Earth can change over time. This is due to the constantly changing positions of the planets as they orbit around the Sun. Additionally, the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, such as asteroids or comets, can also affect the barycenter.

5. How does the center of mass of the Sun with Jupiter and Earth impact the stability of the solar system?

The center of mass of the Sun with Jupiter and Earth is a key factor in maintaining the stability of the solar system. It helps keep the planets in their orbits and prevents them from colliding with each other. If the barycenter were to significantly change, it could potentially lead to major disruptions and changes in the orbits of the planets.