Solbing equation A(u)=B(v) for square matrices A and B

In summary, the equation under consideration is:A(u)=B(v)where A and B are n times n matrices, while u and v are n-dimensional vectors.The question is: is the only way of determining u as a function of v to require that A is invertible? The answer is yes, and in that case u=A-1Bv.
ivl
Dear all,

this is perhaps a trivial question, so I apologise in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated nonetheless.

==The Equation==
The equation under consideration is:

A(u)=B(v)

where A and B are n times n matrices, while u and v are n-dimensional vectors.

==The Question==
From the above equation, I would like to determine u as a function of v.
Question: is the only way of determining u as a function of v to require that A is invertible?
In other words, is it correct to say that the only way of solving the above equation for u is u=A^{-1}B(v) ?

Thanks a lot,
IVL

Physics news on Phys.org
ivl said:
Dear all,

this is perhaps a trivial question, so I apologise in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated nonetheless.

==The Equation==
The equation under consideration is:

A(u)=B(v)

where A and B are n times n matrices, while u and v are n-dimensional vectors.

==The Question==
From the above equation, I would like to determine u as a function of v.
Question: is the only way of determining u as a function of v to require that A is invertible?
In other words, is it correct to say that the only way of solving the above equation for u is u=A^{-1}B(v) ?

Thanks a lot,
IVL

Well, more than "saying that the only way...", I'd say that requiring A to be invertible is the only way to guarantee that there's a solution to your problem, otherwise we'd have to look at each case in particular.

DonAntonio

Thanks for your reply, DonAntonio.

You are right, my question was a bit too vague. But you understood what I meant.

Perhaps a more meaningful way to put the question would be:

-given two n times n matrices, A and B
-let u and v be two n-dimensional vectors

A(u)=B(v)

For each choice of v, the above equation has a UNIQUE solution u if and only if det(A) is non-zero.

Correct?

Thanks
IVL

There is a unique solution if and only if A is invertible and in that case u= A-1Bv.

Thanks everybody,

glad to see things got clearer in my head. Problem solved.

Cheers
IVL

What is the purpose of solving equation A(u)=B(v) for square matrices A and B?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find the values of the variables u and v that satisfy the equality between the two square matrices A and B. This is important in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, as it allows for the prediction and analysis of systems with multiple variables.

What is the difference between square matrices A and B?

Square matrices A and B may have different elements or values in their respective positions. However, they have the same number of rows and columns, making them the same size. This is necessary in order to be able to solve the equation A(u)=B(v) and find a unique solution.

What techniques can be used to solve equation A(u)=B(v) for square matrices A and B?

The most commonly used techniques for solving this type of equation include substitution, elimination, and matrix inversion. These techniques involve manipulating the equations and matrices in order to isolate the variables u and v and find a solution.

What happens if there is no solution to equation A(u)=B(v) for square matrices A and B?

If there is no solution to the equation, it means that there is no combination of values for u and v that will make A(u) equal to B(v). This could indicate that the matrices are not compatible or that the equation is incorrect. In some cases, it may also indicate that the solution is infinite.

Can the solution to equation A(u)=B(v) for square matrices A and B be verified?

Yes, the solution can be verified by substituting the values of u and v into the original equation and confirming that A(u) is equal to B(v). Additionally, the solution can be verified by using other techniques such as matrix multiplication or by checking the properties of the matrices A and B.