Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Solid angle acceptance of a muon telescope

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    I am trying to work out the solid angle acceptance of a muon telescope. The telescope is comprised of two aligned square detector panels (of size x squared metres) set at a distance apart of L metres. The way I was initially working it out (by using the solid angle of a pyramid of base x squared and height 0.5L, containing [as I thought] all the possible muon tracks through the telescope) is completely different to that which my friend insists is the right way (a solid angle defined by [(x squared)/(L squared)]).

Any help on how to find the solid angle from first principles and a resultant equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember it's all possible tracks through the distant square to a single point on the near detector.
    Assuming the detectors are much further apart than their size then x^2/L^2 sounds right.

4. Nov 14, 2007 #3
    And how would you derive that?

5. Nov 14, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From the definition of solid angle. And by assuming that sin(a) = a for small angles.

6. Nov 23, 2007 #5
    Ok, so you have all possible tracks going through the first detector to a single point on the second detector (effectively a pyramid) but what about the tracks that hit the second detector outside of the point?

7. Nov 23, 2007 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For any given point on the 2nd detector there is the same area of initial of detector 1 at the same distance and so the same solid angle.
    The corners of the detectors do see slightly different solid angles and so the corner-corner angle is larger - this is normally ignored if L is much greater than the size of the detector.
    In optical detectors it would correspond to the maximum angle vs the unvignetted angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?