1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid conductor sphere with cavity inside

1. Aug 28, 2015 #1
    Hi, this is my modified post since I've been told that I have to use certain format. I hope this is good now.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Copper (conductor) sphere of radious R with an spheric bubble inside placed at distance c from the center, with radius b. The metalic sphere has charge Q.

2. Relevant equations

1.- Find the electric potential inside the bubble
    2.- Is the result modified if the bubble is not a sphere?

3. The attempt at a solution

My main question is how the charge is distributed. Does the charge goes to the outside surface? or it's distributed between the outside and the inside surface. If the charge is distributed only on the outside surface the Electric potential is zero and then it doesn't matter the shape of the cavity. I'm I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2015 #2
    For conducting sphere(or for any geometrical shape) charges will be distributed on the outermost surface.
    Applying Gauss's theorem it is easy to calculate that electric field inside the cavity (of any shape) is zero which implies potential inside the cavity is constant.

4. Aug 28, 2015 #3
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted