Solid conductor sphere with cavity inside

Hi, this is my modified post since I've been told that I have to use certain format. I hope this is good now.

Homework Statement

Copper (conductor) sphere of radious R with an spheric bubble inside placed at distance c from the center, with radius b. The metalic sphere has charge Q.

Homework Equations

1.- Find the electric potential inside the bubble
2.- Is the result modified if the bubble is not a sphere?

The Attempt at a Solution

My main question is how the charge is distributed. Does the charge goes to the outside surface? or it's distributed between the outside and the inside surface. If the charge is distributed only on the outside surface the Electric potential is zero and then it doesn't matter the shape of the cavity. I'm I right?

Answers and Replies

Hi, this is my modified post since I've been told that I have to use certain format. I hope this is good now.

Homework Statement

Copper (conductor) sphere of radious R with an spheric bubble inside placed at distance c from the center, with radius b. The metalic sphere has charge Q.

Homework Equations

1.- Find the electric potential inside the bubble
2.- Is the result modified if the bubble is not a sphere?

The Attempt at a Solution

My main question is how the charge is distributed. Does the charge goes to the outside surface? or it's distributed between the outside and the inside surface. If the charge is distributed only on the outside surface the Electric potential is zero and then it doesn't matter the shape of the cavity. I'm I right?

For conducting sphere(or for any geometrical shape) charges will be distributed on the outermost surface.
Applying Gauss's theorem it is easy to calculate that electric field inside the cavity (of any shape) is zero which implies potential inside the cavity is constant.

Likes Rene Manzano
For conducting sphere(or for any geometrical shape) charges will be distributed on the outermost surface.
Applying Gauss's theorem it is easy to calculate that electric field inside the cavity (of any shape) is zero which implies potential inside the cavity is constant.

Thanks!