Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid state quantum entanglement?

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    The linked paper describes an experiment which is intended to provide for a basis for investigating solid state spin entangled electrons. Has solid state entanglement been demonstrated before?

http://physics.aps.org/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.104.026801.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, many times. I don't remember who did it first but it was 7-8 years ago.
    That is at least if you mean entanglement of two or more or more qubits via some form of electromagnetic coupling (as opposed to entanglement of spatialy separated Cooper pairs, which is what is demonstrated in this paper)
    Solid state QIP is a large fields so there are lots of publications.

Btw, there is a nice perspective of this paper in Physics (the free online APS journal)

4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    Sorry to be facetious but even the most mundane antiferromagnet has an entangled ground state; you can't do anything remotely interesting in solid state physics without the fact of entanglement.

Regarding solid state QIP, I defer to f95toli's reply.

5. Jan 19, 2010 #4
    Ok. My question wasn't specific. This paper deals with spatially separated Cooper Pairs anticipating later quantum "opticslike" experiments with spin entangled electrons. I'm not even sure whether their main interest is QIP or investigating EPR type phenomena for is own sake.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook