Solution for higher order wave ODE

In summary: Attempt at a solution:You tried to integrate the entire thing twice wrt x, ... Would that be correct?Sorry - I find it far from clear what you are trying to say and I think it is important for me to understand the problem when I am trying to help you.If this is so then the DE is second order (not fourth) and of form:$$\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}=f(u)$$ Have you tried: reduction of order and/or separation of variables?Aside: You have indicated that this is associated with the wave equation. Which seems to suggest that $$-\frac{1
Romik
Hi guys,

Here is an equation that I have tried for few days to solve and still haven't succeeded, I'm interested to solve this 4th order wave equation to find u(x).

∫∫(A u(x) + B u(x)2 + C u(x)3 +D u''(x)) dx dx=0

the 4th term is second derivative of displacement u(x). I assume constants are zero.

I would appreciate any hint or comment.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the DE?
Do I take it that you mean to solve:
A u(x) + B u(x)2 + C u(x)3 +D u''(x) = 0

i.e. $$u^{\prime\prime} = au^3+bu^2+cu$$

What you have written, [itex]\int\int ... dx dx[/itex], is meaningless. Simon Bridge is assuming that you mean that the integral over an arbitrary region in the plane is 0. In that case the integrand must be 0. If you intend an integral over a specific region, that is not true.

Yes, obviously the DE is that expression.
Thanks for comment

Simon Bridge said:
What is the DE?
Do I take it that you mean to solve:
A u(x) + B u(x)2 + C u(x)3 +D u''(x) = 0

i.e. $$u^{\prime\prime} = au^3+bu^2+cu$$

You are right,

Thanks.

HallsofIvy said:
What you have written, [itex]\int\int ... dx dx[/itex], is meaningless. Simon Bridge is assuming that you mean that the integral over an arbitrary region in the plane is 0. In that case the integrand must be 0. If you intend an integral over a specific region, that is not true.

OK - so if I'm reading this correctly,

Problem Statement:
Given $$Au^3(x)+Bu^2(x)+Cu(x)+D\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}=0$$... find the general solution for u(x).

Attempt at a solution:
You tried to integrate the entire thing twice wrt x, ...

Would that be correct?
Sorry - I find it far from clear what you are trying to say and I think it is important for me to understand the problem when I am trying to help you.

If this is so then the DE is second order (not fourth) and of form:
$$\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}=f(u)$$ Have you tried: reduction of order and/or separation of variables?

Aside: You have indicated that this is associated with the wave equation. Which seems to suggest that $$-\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{d^2u}{dt^2}=Au^3(x)+Bu^2(x)+Cu(x)$$ ... is that correct?

Hi !

This non-linear ODE is analytically solvable, leading to the inverse function of u(x).
The result on the form of x as a function of u is an elliptic integral (attachment).
Solving this elliptic integral involves the roots of a polynomial equation of the 4th degree. As a consequence, the formal result involving an elliptic function is a very complicated formula :
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+du/sqrt(g-a*u^2-b*u^3-c*u^4)&x=0&y=0
The function obtained x(u) is so big that computing the inverse function u(x) in terms of Jacobi elliptic functions is probably not realisic, nor usefull in practice. Numerical methods for solving the ODE are more convenient.

Attachments

• Elliptic.JPG
    Elliptic.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 492
Simon Bridge

Thanks again for the comment,

These types of equations are called "Autonomous" and they are very common in classical mechanics (Hamiltonian systems)
in this case $$\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}=f(u)$$ is second order special case! (it is independent of first order derivative). terms in $$f(u)$$ come from some nonlinearities in the system. the original equation derived from Hamilton principle is order 4th, we can reduce the order to second by integration, after that we should solve the ODE with some uncommon functions and approximations like Jacobi elliptic cosine function! it is not as easy as separation of variables! A, B, C, and D are constants and they are related somehow with speed of wave.

JJacquelin

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Unfortunately I need a relation (even approximation) explicitly and I can't go with numerical solution,
I tried Mathematica before, I know, it doesn't help.
I'm thinking about Jacobi elliptic function, or generalized Riccati equation method.

Once again, thanks.

An approximate method would depend on what sort of values you expect for the constants: perhaps some of the terms dominate?

1. What is a higher order wave ODE?

A higher order wave ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a type of mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a wave over time. It involves derivatives of the wave function with respect to time and can be used to model various physical phenomena such as sound and light waves.

2. What types of problems can be solved using higher order wave ODEs?

Higher order wave ODEs can be used to solve problems related to wave propagation, such as predicting the behavior of sound waves in a medium, the motion of strings and membranes, and the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

3. How do you solve a higher order wave ODE?

The most common method for solving a higher order wave ODE is by using separation of variables, which involves rewriting the equation as a product of two functions and then solving each function separately. Other methods include using Laplace transforms and numerical methods such as finite differences.

4. What are the applications of higher order wave ODEs in science and engineering?

Higher order wave ODEs have numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used in acoustics, optics, electromagnetics, and structural engineering to model and analyze the behavior of waves in different systems.

5. Are there any real-world limitations to solving higher order wave ODEs?

While higher order wave ODEs can be used to model and solve many real-world problems, they do have some limitations. In some cases, the equations may be too complex to solve analytically, requiring numerical methods. Additionally, the accuracy of the solutions may be affected by factors such as boundary conditions and assumptions made in the modeling process.