Solution for Optimal Number of Issuance Counters and Loading Bays

• MHB
  • Thread starter sleepingneko
  • Start date
In summary, it would take 2 minutes for the 1st person to equip and issue his equipment, and 1 minute for the 2nd person to equip and issue his equipment.
sleepingneko
Hi there everyone, need help with a work assignment which I feel is simple but I just cannot wrap my mind around it. Not too sure if this is the correct thread though, so I beg for your forgiveness if it is the wrong thread. :X

Premise:
At a certain workplace, there are 5 equipment loading bays, and 1 equipment issuance counter.

The work flow is as such:

1) Person goes to the issuance counter to draw his equipment.
2) Person goes to the equipment loading bay to load his equipment.
3) Person leaves the area.

Parameters:

A) Total number of persons
B) Time it takes for person to draw his equipment
C) Time it takes for person to load his equipment

Assumption:

The issuance counter can only handle one person at a time.

Question:

So say if I have 30 persons, and it takes 2 minutes for the person to equip his items, and 1 minute for the equipment to be issued at the counter, how long is it going to take with just 5 equipment loading bays and 1 equipment issuance counter?

I have been racking my brains as to come up with a formula for Excel so that I can vary the above-mentioned parameters and come up with an optimal ratio of equipment loading bays to equipment issuance counters…

My math is rather rusty and this is work assignment given by my boss. I have not practiced math for about 4 years since graduation and my boss is rather demanding… Sigh. Help... please?

Much thanks to anyone who can help in advance. :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sleepingneko said:
Hi there everyone, need help with a work assignment which I feel is simple but I just cannot wrap my mind around it. Not too sure if this is the correct thread though, so I beg for your forgiveness if it is the wrong thread. :X

Premise:
At a certain workplace, there are 5 equipment loading bays, and 1 equipment issuance counter.

The work flow is as such:

1) Person goes to the issuance counter to draw his equipment.
2) Person goes to the equipment loading bay to load his equipment.
3) Person leaves the area.

Parameters:

A) Total number of persons
B) Time it takes for person to draw his equipment
C) Time it takes for person to load his equipment

Assumption:

The issuance counter can only handle one person at a time.

Question:

So say if I have 30 persons, and it takes 2 minutes for the person to equip his items, and 1 minute for the equipment to be issued at the counter, how long is it going to take with just 5 equipment loading bays and 1 equipment issuance counter?

I have been racking my brains as to come up with a formula for Excel so that I can vary the above-mentioned parameters and come up with an optimal ratio of equipment loading bays to equipment issuance counters…

My math is rather rusty and this is work assignment given by my boss. I have not practiced math for about 4 years since graduation and my boss is rather demanding… Sigh. Help... please?

Much thanks to anyone who can help in advance. :)

Hi sleepingneko! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

Let's see if we can break this down into smaller and simpler pieces.

Suppose there was only 1 person.
At which time will he have his equipment and at which time will he be done equipping his items?

Now suppose there is a 2nd person.
When can he start getting his equipment?
Where can he load his equipment when he has it?
And when will he be ready?

1. What is the purpose of finding the optimal number of issuance counters and loading bays?

The purpose of finding the optimal number of issuance counters and loading bays is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the system. By determining the optimal number, resources can be allocated effectively, reducing wait times and increasing productivity.

2. How do you calculate the optimal number of issuance counters and loading bays?

The optimal number is calculated by considering factors such as peak demand, average wait times, and available resources. Mathematical models and simulations can also be used to determine the most efficient number.

3. What are the benefits of having an optimal number of issuance counters and loading bays?

Having an optimal number can result in reduced wait times, increased customer satisfaction, and improved resource allocation. It can also lead to cost savings by minimizing unnecessary resources and maximizing productivity.

4. Can the optimal number change over time?

Yes, the optimal number can change over time due to various factors such as changes in demand, available resources, and technological advancements. Regular evaluations and adjustments should be made to ensure continued efficiency.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to determining the optimal number of issuance counters and loading bays?

One potential drawback is the cost and effort involved in conducting the necessary research and analysis. It may also require changes to the current system, which could cause disruptions. Additionally, the optimal number may not always be feasible due to budget constraints or other limitations.