Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution help for the Geodesic Equation

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    Let’s say an asteroid is about to enter earth’s atmosphere(it will burn up of course). The initially sitting is at:

[tex]point = [x_{0},y_{0},z_{0},t_{0}] = [r_{0},\\theta_{0},\\phi_{0},t_{0}][/tex]

With a 4-velocity:

[tex]V = [v_{1},v_{2},v_{3},v_{4}][/tex]

The momentum at 0+

[tex]p_{0+} = mass*V = mass*[v_{1},v_{2},v_{3},v_{4}][/tex]

The Riemann Geometry is Riemann Space with Torsion = 0. The metric is the Schwarzchild metric. Affinity is the Christoffel Symbol. Curvature is non-zero. And, the Ricci tensor is null.

My question is how do you formulate [tex]x^{i}[/tex] to attempt solve for the path, "s" in the second-order geodesic differential equation from the given initial 4-velocity vector and starting point?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2
    I am looking for how to solve the geodesic path, I. Something like this except taking into account initial conditions:

[tex]I = \int[(1-2m/r)^{-1} + r^{2}(d\theta/dr)^{2} + r^{2}(sin\theta)^{2}(d\phi/dr)^{2} - (1-2m/r)(dt/dr)^{2}]^{1/2} dr[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    The geodesic is a graph of many curves. You have to go piece-meal or one part at a time. Use the Geodesic equation to lesson the amount of unknowns:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook