1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to quadratic equation

1. Jun 30, 2016 #1
    Q48_49hall_XXVIC.jpg 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I just want some clarification about the rules on solving quadratic equation. My question is coming from my solution for problem 49.

Solving problem 49

Factor: (x−p−q)(√(x−q)+√(x−p))=0
    Therefore: x−p−q=0⇒x=p+q this agrees with the answer in my book

What Im confused about is the part where I divided out the lhs by (√(x−q)+√(x−p)). This factor contains x in it and I'm worried that I may have discarded the other root for the equation. And since it is a quadratic equation I am expecting to get two roots for the equation. Can you enlighten me about this matter? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you solve an equation of form f(x) g(x) =0, you use the fact that the product is zero if either f(x)=0 or g(x)=0. In principle, it is possible that √(x−q)+√(x−p) = 0. What does it mean for √(x−q) and √(x−p)?
    You started the solution by multiplying the whole equation with √(x−q)√(x−p). What is the condition that you may do it?

4. Jun 30, 2016 #3
    The one and only posibility that √(x−q)+√(x−p) =0 is if x=p=q. Therefore x=q=p is also a solution? Im still confused. Please bear with me.

5. Jun 30, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are not allowed to have either ##x = p## or ##x = q##, because the right-hand-side of your original equation would then contain division by zero, which is absolutely forbidden.

6. Jun 30, 2016 #5
    What? When x = x+p we will also have division by zero right? Why is it that √(x-q)+√(x-p) is not allowed to be equal zero but x-p-q can be equal zero?

7. Jun 30, 2016 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The following doesn't make sense unless p = 0 .

8. Jun 30, 2016 #7

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Suggestion: Group the sqrt (x-p ) terms on one side of the equation (one term will be in the denominator), and the sqrt(x-q) terms on the other side of the equation and square both sides of the equation. You can then do some additional algebra. It's then a couple more steps, but you do get a quadratic expression for x in terms of p and q. The quadratic expression does factor and simplify and it does have a simple solution.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  9. Jul 1, 2016 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You started the solution with multiplying the whole equation by √(x−q)*√(x−p). Before multiplying an equation with an expression you have to exclude that it is zero.

10. Jul 1, 2016 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please read responses carefully: I said ".... original equation...". In your original equation you had
    [tex] \text{original right-hand-side} = \frac{q}{\sqrt{x-p}} + \frac{p}{\sqrt{x-q}} [/tex]
    If you take ##x = p## or ##x = q## you will have ##1/\sqrt{0}## on the right, and that is forbidden.

Of course, after you multiply your equation by ##\sqrt{x-p} \sqrt{x-q}## you would have
    [tex] \text{new right-hand-side} =q \sqrt{x-q} + p \sqrt{x-p} [/tex]
    and in that new rhs you are certainly allowed to have ##x = p## or ##x = q##. However, that would not be giving you a solution to the original equation.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  11. Jul 1, 2016 #10
    Thank you now it is clear!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted