Solve a nonlinear matrix equation

In summary: The exponentiation comes into play whenever we want to solve a differential equation when we turn something linear into something curved, the transition from a Lie algebra to a Lie group. However, the OP didn't provide any such context, no differential equation, no vector field. It is not even clear whether ##e^{At}## converges. It looks like a flow, but it would have been nice to know for sure.
rehan_eme
TL;DR Summary
Solve a nonlinear matrix equation
Hi all,

I want to know if a second solution exists for the following math equation:

Ce^{At} ρ_p+(CA)^{−1} (e^{At}−I)B=0

Where C, ρ_p, A and B are constant matrices, 't' is scalar variable. I know that atleast one solution i.e. 〖t=θ〗_1 exists, but I want a method to determine if there is another θ_0<θ_1 that is also a (second) solution. Any anlaytical way of determining that is what I am looking for.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Latex please

Add my vote to the hope that LaTex might add some neaded clarity. What does a scalar to a power of a matrix even mean?

Likes renormalize
DaveE said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_exponential

IRL you do it by transforming it to a diagonal form with eigenvalues so you don't have infinite sums.
Doesn't this show up in QM quite often? I remember seeing something to the effect of ##e^{\mathbf{X}}## before.

Mayhem said:
Doesn't this show up in QM quite often? I remember seeing something to the effect of ##e^{\mathbf{X}}## before.
The exponentiation comes into play whenever we want to solve a differential equation when we turn something linear into something curved, the transition from a Lie algebra to a Lie group. However, the OP didn't provide any such context, no differential equation, no vector field. It is not even clear whether ##e^{At}## converges. It looks like a flow, but it would have been nice to know for sure.

I have not seen it in QM, or for that matter, ever. Raising a scalar to the identity matrix returns what? (Apparently, a disgonal matrix with the scalar on the diagonal,,,guess it has to be something)

Vanadium 50 said:
I have not seen it in QM, or for that matter, ever. Raising a scalar to the identity matrix returns what? (Apparently, a disgonal matrix with the scalar on the diagonal,,,guess it has to be something)
Here is what I think it should have been:

rehan_eme said:
TL;DR Summary: Solve a nonlinear matrix equation

Hi all,

I want to know if a second solution exists for the following math equation:

##Ce^{At} ρ_p + (CA)^{−1} (e^{At}−I) B=0## or ##C\exp(At) ρ_p + (CA)^{−1} (\exp(At) −I ) B=0##

Where ##C, ρ_p, A,## and ##B## are constant matrices, ##t## is a scalar variable. I know that at least one solution i.e. ##t=\theta_1## exists, but I want a method to determine if there is another ##\theta_0<\theta_1## that is also a (second) solution. Any analytical way of determining that is what I am looking for.
E.g. it could be that ##A\in \mathfrak{su}(2)## and ##e^{At}## is a flow in ##\operatorname{SU}(2).##

Vanadium 50 said:
Raising a scalar to the identity matrix returns what? (Apparently, a disgonal matrix with the scalar on the diagonal,,,guess it has to be something)
This is something that appears in all but the most elementary linear algebra textbooks. As a Maclaurin expansion ##e^A = I + A + \frac {A^2}{2!} + \frac {A^3}{3!} + \dots + \frac {A^n}{n!} + \dots##.

##e^I = I + I + \frac {I^2}{2!} + \frac {I^3}{3!} + \dots + \frac {I^n}{n!} + \dots##
##= I(2 + 1/2 + 1/6 + 1/24 + \dots) = eI##

Likes DaveE
Vanadium 50 said:
I have not seen it in QM, or for that matter, ever.
That's surprising to me. Maybe I'm showing my age here, but back in the day, quantum mechanics textbooks often exponentiated the time-independent, Hermetian Hamiltonian ##H## (a differential operator or a matrix, depending on the representation) of a quantum system to define the unitary operator ##T## of time evolution (e.g., see the page from Merzbacher below). Maybe the QM texts you've studied no longer use that approach?

Merzbacher QM.jpg

Attachments

• Merzbacher QM.jpg
    Merzbacher QM.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 63
Likes weirdoguy

1. What is a nonlinear matrix equation?

A nonlinear matrix equation is an equation where the unknown variable(s) appear in a nonlinear form, such as in a polynomial or exponential function. This makes it more complex to solve compared to a linear matrix equation where the unknown variable(s) appear in a linear form.

2. How do you solve a nonlinear matrix equation?

Solving a nonlinear matrix equation involves using numerical methods, such as iteration or approximation techniques, to find the values of the unknown variable(s) that satisfy the equation. This can also be done using computer software or programming languages.

3. What are some common numerical methods used to solve nonlinear matrix equations?

Some common numerical methods used to solve nonlinear matrix equations include the Newton-Raphson method, the bisection method, and the secant method. These methods involve iteratively improving the initial guess of the unknown variable(s) until a desired level of accuracy is achieved.

4. Are there any special considerations when solving a nonlinear matrix equation?

Yes, there are some special considerations when solving a nonlinear matrix equation. For example, the initial guess for the unknown variable(s) can greatly affect the convergence and accuracy of the solution. It is also important to check for multiple solutions and to ensure that the solution obtained is the desired one.

5. Can a nonlinear matrix equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a nonlinear matrix equation can have more than one solution. This is because the nonlinear nature of the equation can result in multiple values of the unknown variable(s) that satisfy the equation. It is important to carefully check the solutions obtained to ensure that they are valid and relevant to the problem at hand.