Solve Algebra: (0.97)(1+ Beta gas (-Ti)) = (1 + Beta steel (-Ti))

  • Thread starter Thread starter chantalprince
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra General
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
chantalprince
Messages
54
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Hi- this is actually part of my physics homework, but all I need help with deals strictly with algebra.

This is my equation:

(0.97)(1 + Beta gas (-Ti)) = (1 + Beta steel (-Ti))



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution




How do I solve for Ti? To me it seems like they cancel out, but from what I can remember, they don't and I can solve for it. I think it has to do with distributing before I start to solve, but I'm having issues. I am sorry I don't have more of an attempt, but I've tried to work it out on paper and they just cancel out.

Thanks so much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First, distribute the 0.97 over the left-hand side. Then add -0.97*(Beta gas)*Ti to both sides. If the variable you're interested in is trapped inside a distribution, distribute it out so you can free the variable for independent algebraic manipulation.