Solve Algebra Expression: \frac{1}{\sqrt{\left( \frac{y}{x}\right)^2 +1}}

  • Thread starter Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
FrogPad
Messages
801
Reaction score
0
I'm working with this expression and I do not understand how to simplify it by hand:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\left( \frac{y}{x}\right)^2 +1}}[/tex]

My TI-89 reduces it to:
[tex]\frac{|x|}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex]

How is it doing this? This is not homework. I'm sure it would be acceptiable to just put the simplification down on paper... but if you would rather give hints, that's fine. Thanks :)

The original expression was taken from:
[tex]\cos \tan^{-1} \frac{y}{x}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Under the squareroot you have the expression [tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}+1[/tex]

Remember that
[tex]\frac{a}{b}\pm\frac{c}{d}=\frac{ad\pm bc}{bd}[/tex]

And also, remember that
[tex]\frac{1}{\frac{a}{b}}=\frac{b}{a}[/tex]

Do you see know how your calculator did it?
 
Or: multiply both numerator and denominator by |x|:
[tex]\frac{|x|}{|x|\sqrt{\frac{y^2}{x^2}+ 1}}= \frac{|x|}{\sqrt{x^2(\frac{y^2}{x^2+ 1)}}= \frac{|x|}{\sqrt{y^2+ x^2}}[/tex]