Solve Complex Equation z^2 - (7+i)z + 24 + 7i = 0

In summary, to simplify the expression z= \frac{\ 7+i \pm \sqrt{-47 - 14i }}{ 2 }, you can substitute one of the book solutions (3+4i or 4-3i) into the original equation to check for validity. Another way is to convert to polar form and use DeMoivre's formula to get the square roots.
newton1
[tex] z^2 - (7+i)z + 24 + 7i = 0 [/tex]
[tex] z= \frac{\ 7+i \pm \sqrt{(7+i)^2 - 4(24+7i)} }{ 2 }[/tex]
[tex] z= \frac{\ 7+i \pm \sqrt{-47 - 14i }}{ 2 } [/tex]
i stuck here

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know whether you can simplify it further than that.

When I check the real part of what you have inside the root, I get 7^2 - 1 - 4*24, which is -48, not -47.

Last edited:
yes, it's -48
the answer in book is 3+4i , 4-3i

I just substituted one of the book solutions into the original equation to check whether it is valid:

(3 + 4i) (3 + 4i) - (7 + i) (3 + 4i) + 24 + 7i = 0 + 0i.

So that book solution seems to be correct.

I also checked the other book solution, and it is also correct.

I do not know how you get from your form to the book form.

Last edited:
To simplify sqrt(-48-14i), solve for real numbers a and b such that:

(a + bi)(a+bi)= -48-14i,

so that a^2 - b^2 = -48 and 2ab = -14.

You may be able to figure it out by doing that.

The next step could be that since a=-7/b,

(-7/b)^2 - b^2 = -48.

get it!
Thank~~~

A standard way of handling [itex]\sqrt{-48-14i}[/itex] is to convert to polar form and use DeMoivre's formula: this happens to have r= 50 and [theta]= 0.284 radians.
The square root will have r= [itex]\sqrt{50}= 5\sqrt{2}[/itex] and theta= 0.142 radians or 3.283 radians. That is, the square roots are [itex]5\sqrt{2}(cos(0.142)+ i sin(0.142))[/itex]= 7+ i and [itex]5\sqrt{2}(cos(3.283)+ i sin(3.283))[/itex]= -7- i.

1. What is a complex equation?

A complex equation is an equation that involves complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. Complex equations often involve the variable z and can be solved using algebraic methods.

2. How do I solve a complex equation?

To solve a complex equation, you can use the quadratic formula, which is x = (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the equation. You can also solve it by factoring or completing the square.

3. What does the letter z represent in this equation?

The letter z is a variable that represents a complex number in the equation. It is also commonly used to represent any complex number in mathematics.

4. How do I know if a complex equation has complex solutions?

A complex equation will have complex solutions if the discriminant b^2-4ac is less than zero. This means that the solutions cannot be expressed as real numbers and will involve imaginary numbers.

5. Can a complex equation have more than 2 solutions?

Yes, a complex equation can have more than 2 solutions. In fact, a quadratic equation can have up to 2n solutions, where n is the degree of the equation. For example, a quadratic equation can have up to 4 solutions, while a cubic equation can have up to 6 solutions.