Solve cos²x = 2cosxsinx for x in 0 to 360 degrees

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maria
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Homework
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Maria
Can someone help me with this:cos^2x = 2cosxsinx?
X E 0,360..
I really haven`t understood this trigonomy stuff yet..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you see that sticky about posting homework?

Hint: forget trig for now, and simplify


a^2=ab.
 
Maria said:
Can someone help me with this:cos^2x = 2cosxsinx?
X E 0,360..
I really haven`t understood this trigonomy stuff yet..
Hi, Maria, I am Susan, :redface: What matt told you to do is something like this: :blushing:
cosx(cosx-2sinx) =0
cosx=0 OR tanx=1/2
 
Last edited:
hi again

Can you explain it to me a bit more?

I need to understand the whole prosess, because I have to explain it to someone else on thursday.. I need 4 angles..
 
What you basically have is:

[tex]a^2 = ab[/tex]

You can wright this is:

[tex]a^2 - ab = 0[/tex]

[tex]a(a - b) = 0[/tex]

This tells you that either [itex]a[/itex] is 0 or [itex]a - b[/itex] is 0, right? Well try and follow that procedure out with your trig functions.