Solve e^(2 x)-e^x-12 = 0 for x

• Thread starter physicsdreams
  • Start date
In summary: So, for the homework problem, the answer is \{-1, -3, -5\}.In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for x which has the following solutions: ln(4), ln(-3), and -1. After plugging both solutions back into the equation, the student's teacher thinks one of the answers might not be correct. The student has now talked to their teacher and they are working on finding a solution that is correct.
physicsdreams

Homework Statement

solve e^(2 x)-e^x-12 = 0 for x

Homework Equations

quadratic

The Attempt at a Solution

We had this question on a test, and after solving it (i'd rather not write out the work), I came to two solutions.
Ln(4)
Ln(-3)

I plugged both answers back into the equation, and they both worked.
My teacher says that Ln(-3) is NOT an answer, because it is an "extraneous solution".
I did some messing around on Wolframalpha, and they seem to agree that ln(-3) is, in fact, a solution.

Can someone please clarify if both answers are in fact solutions, or if one is an extraneous solution. Or if you think he meant something else, please tell me. please keep in mind that I'm still in precalculus, so please explain it in as simple terms as possible.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have defined the logarithm only for positive values of x. So log(-1) is not defined. The logarithm is a function that takes in positive values and spews out a real number.

It is possible to define the logarithm for negative numbers, but that's not what your teacher wants. Your teacher works with the real logarithm, and thus is not defined for negative numbers.

I see your point.

I've now talked to my teacher, and he thinks that I might be right; or at least he isn't sure why plugging in the solutions back into the equations work.

If we are talking about logarithms that are defined by both positive and negative numbers (let's just say the problem allowed for all possible answers), are both proposed answer(s) 'right'.

Is the answer considered 'right' if you can plug it in?

Thanks

Last edited:
Again, [itex] ln(-3) [/itex] is a root if logarithms are defined for negative numbers.
In your case, I'm sure you're working with [itex]\{x\in \mathbb{R} :x > 0\}[/itex]
[tex]ln(-1)=i \pi[/tex]
[tex]ln(-3)=ln(3)+i \pi[/tex]

Complex numbers are introduced when you take the logarithm of a negative number.

Last edited:

1. What is the equation to be solved?

The equation to be solved is e^(2x)-e^x-12 = 0.

2. What is the variable in this equation?

The variable in this equation is x.

3. What is the method for solving this equation?

The method for solving this equation is using logarithms. Specifically, we will take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation and then use algebraic manipulations to solve for x.

4. Can this equation be solved analytically?

Yes, this equation can be solved analytically using logarithms and algebraic manipulations.

5. What is the solution to this equation?

The solution to this equation is x = 2 or x = -3, as verified by plugging in these values for x and seeing that the equation is satisfied.