Solve Electron Capture: Population Ratio of 2p1/2 & 2p3/2 States

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
vst98
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider a process of a capture of an electron into 2p1/2 and 2p3/2 states of hydrogen atom.
Find a population ratio of these two states after the capture.

Homework Equations



?

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't know where to start on this question. As far as I know, electron capture is a process where
Inner electron is absorbed by a nucleus (proton or neutron), and not captured into a into 2p1/2 and 2p3/2 states.
And what is meant by population ratio ?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone at least give me a small hint or a link to some books/web-pages ?
I have searched my literature on this, but I'm not sure that I even understand the problem.