Solve for y in 16y2 -24xy -300y +x2 + 400x = 0

  • Thread starter Thread starter vanmaiden
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
vanmaiden
Messages
101
Reaction score
1
solving for "y"

Homework Statement


Solve for y in 16y2 -24xy -300y +x2 + 400x = 0


Homework Equations


N/A


The Attempt at a Solution


16y2 -24xy -300y +x2 + 400x = 0
16y2 -24xy -300y = -x2 - 400x
y (16y - 24x - 300) = -x2 - 400x

When I get here, I can isolate the y but not the y
 
Physics news on Phys.org


vanmaiden said:

Homework Statement


Solve for y in 16y2 -24xy -300y +x2 + 400x = 0


Homework Equations


N/A


The Attempt at a Solution


16y2 -24xy -300y +x2 + 400x = 0
16y2 -24xy -300y = -x2 - 400x
y (16y - 24x - 300) = -x2 - 400x

When I get here, I can isolate the y but not the y
What you are calling y and y are the same thing, so you have not isolated y.

The equation is quadratic in y, so you can solve for y using the Quadratic Formula.
16y2 -24xy -300y +x2 + 400x = 0
<==> 16y2 + (-24x - 300)y + (x2 + 400x) = 0

This is now in the form ay2 + by + c = 0. Can you take it from here?
 


What mark44 is saying is that your equation is a quadratic in y, and there is a formula for those.
 


hunt_mat said:
What mark44 is saying is that your equation is a quadratic in y

Mark44 said:
The equation is quadratic in y

lol :wink:
 


Thank you all for the help

Mark44 said:
Can you take it from here?

I see what I should do now, but I continue to get weird answers when I plug it into the quadratic formula. I'm sure it's just too early for me to be doing this stuff lol. I'll continue trying.

Thank you