Solve Force and Impulse Homework: Speed of Tennis Ball After Collision

  • Thread starter Thread starter huybinhs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Impulse
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 3K views
huybinhs
Messages
229
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The Figure shows an approximate representation of the contact force versus time during the collision of a 36-g tennis ball with a wall. The initial velocity of the ball is 151.6 m/s perpendicular to the wall. What is the speed of the tennis ball after the collision?

1-6.png


Homework Equations



P = mv

The Attempt at a Solution



I did find 3 Area in the pic the add them up. I got 10200 total, then what's next?
Any help would be appreciated! ;)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
P(0) = (36/1000) * 151.6 = 5.4576 N*m

Pf = (36/1000) * vf with Pf = total of 3 Areas, correct?
 
huybinhs said:
P(0) = (36/1000) * 151.6 = 5.4576 N*m

Pf = (36/1000) * vf with Pf = total of 3 Areas, correct?

No, in the equation I told you, J represents the area of the figure. Do you see why?
 
so P(0) = (36/1000) * 151.6 = 5.4576 N*m

then 5.4576 + 10200 = (36/1000) vf => vf = 2.83 * 10^5 m/s, right?
 
huybinhs said:
so P(0) = (36/1000) * 151.6 = 5.4576 N*m

then 5.4576 + 10200 = (36/1000) vf => vf = 2.83 * 10^5 m/s, right?

Time in the graph is given in milliseconds (ms).
 
If so 10200 will be = 10.2

=> 5.4576 + 10.2 = (36/1000) vf => vf = 435 m/s Wrong! Why?
 
huybinhs said:
If so 10200 will be = 10.2

=> 5.4576 + 10.2 = (36/1000) vf => vf = 435 m/s Wrong! Why?

Does the force act on the same direction as the motion?
 
huybinhs said:
so u mean J in this case is just = 9 ?

I mean it's negative, and where did you get 9?
 
so I got the 1st area = 0.5 * 0.002 * 1200 = 1.2

2nd = 0.007 * 1200 = 8.4

3rd = 0.001 * 0.5 * 1200 = 0.6

so now why should i do? please be more specific!
 
huybinhs said:
so I got the 1st area = 0.5 * 0.002 * 1200 = 1.2

2nd = 0.007 * 1200 = 8.4

3rd = 0.001 * 0.5 * 1200 = 0.6

so now why should i do? please be more specific!

add the 3 = 10.2

I'm saying that since the force of the wall is acting opposite of the motion, then maybe the impulse should be negative (-10.2)
 
huybinhs said:
Got it! Thanks for your patience ;)

You're most welcome :approve: