Solve Momentum Problem: Mass of Gas for Course Correction of 30 Degrees

  • Thread starter Thread starter pebbles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
pebbles
Messages
95
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A space probe with mass of 7.60 * 10^3 kg is traveling at 125 m/s. Missions control decides that a course correction of 30 degrees is needed. and instructs probe to fire rockets perpendicular to present direction of motion. If gas expelled by rockets has speed of 3.200 km/s, what mass of gas should be released?


Homework Equations


??



The Attempt at a Solution


3.200 km/s-->3200 m/s

I'm totally stuck on this one. I'm not good at physics, so I need someone to walk me through this problem thoroughly.

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of momentum considerations.

I can't help you too much because you've shown no attempt at solving this problem on your own.
 
Initial Momentum = Final Momentum.

Run with that and see if it gets you anywhere.
 
uh, I'm confused.
i don't know the final velocity of the rockets...
 
or wait, would the rockets' initial velocity be zero?
 
The initial velocity of the gas would be zero with respect to the probe. Consider the total momentum of the proble + gas system. It is this vector quantity that remains unchanged.