Polarized sphere with P = k/r² producing conflicting field results

  • Thread starter Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Field Sphere
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
aaaa202
Messages
1,144
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


A sphere with radius R carries a uniform polarization in the radial direction P = k/r2
Find the bound charges and calculate the field they produce outside the sphere.

Homework Equations


ρ = -∇[itex]\bullet[/itex]P
σ = P[itex]\bullet[/itex][itex]\hat{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


We find σ = k/r2
ρ = 0
So the field they produce is E = kR2/(ε0r2)

But this can't be true! How can a polarization create a field outside the sphere? Something is definitely wrong. Because we also have:
D = ε0E
And using a Gaussian surface you find:
E=0

And I am confident in the last result. There is something disappearing in the above - where have all the charges of opposite sign gone? I believe it has to do with the mathematics behind ∇[itex]\bullet[/itex]k/r2 = 0. For that the pesky delta function is involved in that I believe. If ρ=0 we also find no field inside the sphere. Can that really be true?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me check a couple of things: The polarisation is k/r2 in the radial direction, so how is it uniform polarisation? Also, I agree with your answer E = kR2/(ε0r2) due to the bound charges. Why do you think it is wrong?