1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field inside a polarized sphere

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sphere of radius R carries a polarization
    [itex]\vec{P}[/itex]= k[itex]\vec{r}[/itex],

where k is a constant and [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is the vector from the center.

Find the field inside and outside the sphere.

In solution, the field outside sphere is 0.

I interpreted that as the field produced by the polarization charges.

Their sum is 0. So, the outside field is zero.

My problem is inside sphere.

Can i consider always the electric field inside a sphere as -[itex]\frac{1}{3εo}[/itex]*[itex]\vec{P}[/itex]
    ??

Because the formula -[itex]\frac{1}{3εo}[/itex]*[itex]\vec{P}[/itex] is obtained by a uniformly polarized sphere.

In the exercise [itex]\vec{P}[/itex] is not uniform.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since there is no free charge anywhere inside the sphere, I would think the E field, by Gauss, would be zero everywhere inside the sphere.

4. Nov 26, 2012 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not sure where you're getting that expression. The polarization produces a bound charge density inside the sphere: ##\rho_b = -\vec{\nabla}\cdot \vec{P}##

From the bound charge you can get the field using Gauss' law.

5. Nov 27, 2012 #4
    So you are telling me that [itex]\vec{E}[/itex](A) = [itex]\frac{∫-∇.\vec{P}dv}{εo}[/itex]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  6. Nov 27, 2012 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes (although I'm not real clear on your notation in this equation). See what you get for the bound charge density as a function of ##r## and then use it in Gauss' law to find the magnitude of the field inside, ##E(r)##, as a function of ##r##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook