Solve question using Excel or Matlab

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of graphing the boundary layer thickness and friction factor as functions of x for water flowing over a stationary horizontal flat plate of one-meter length at a velocity of 1 m/s. The professor suggests using expressions for these variables and doing the graph in Excel.
sam_smk
OP warned about not using the template
water moves over a stationary horizontal flat plate of one-meter length. if velocity of water is 1 m/s, draw boundary layer and friction coefficient versus x for this plate.

hint: start your curves from x=1cm.Professor asked us to do it in Matlab or Excel and I'm not sure I understand how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Sam!

There are expressions for boundary layer thickness and friction factor as functions of x (the friction factor is a function of Re, which in turn is a function of x) for flow over flat plates. Are you aware of them?

If I understood correctly, your professor is asking you to graph the boundary layer thickness and friction factor from x = 0.01 m to x = 1 m using said expressions. IMO, it's just easier to do this in Excel.

1. How do I enter data into Excel or Matlab?

To enter data into Excel, simply click on a cell and type in the values. To enter data into Matlab, you can either type it directly into the command window or import it from a file using the "importdata" function.

2. How do I perform calculations in Excel or Matlab?

In Excel, you can use formulas to perform calculations on your data. Simply click on the cell where you want the answer to appear and type in the formula using cell references. In Matlab, you can use built-in functions or write your own scripts to perform calculations on your data.

3. How do I create charts or graphs in Excel or Matlab?

In Excel, you can select your data and then click on the "Insert" tab and choose the type of chart or graph you want to create. In Matlab, you can use the "plot" function to create a basic graph or use the "figure" and "subplot" functions to customize your graph.

4. How do I analyze data in Excel or Matlab?

In Excel, you can use built-in functions such as "SUM", "AVERAGE", and "STDEV" to analyze your data. You can also use the "Data Analysis" tool to perform more advanced analyses. In Matlab, you can use functions like "mean", "median", and "std" to analyze your data, or write your own scripts to perform custom analyses.

5. How do I export my results from Excel or Matlab?

To export your results from Excel, you can simply copy and paste the data into a new document or save the file as a different format. In Matlab, you can use the "save" or "write" functions to save your results to a file in various formats.