Solve Wave Function - Computational

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving the wave equation using Python and Euler's method. The equation is given, along with initial conditions and a vector of RHS to use in the calculation. The person is struggling with understanding how to implement Euler's method and is seeking help and clarification. There is also confusion regarding the difference between the given wave equation and the standard one.
leonmate

Homework Statement

Hi all,

I've been working on this assignment for some time now and seem to be stuck before I even get going!
So,

The wave equation:

d^2 u(x,t) / dx^2 = d^2 u(x,t) / dt^2

can be written as:

du/dt = v
dv/dt = dw/dx
dw/dt = dv/dx
w = du/dx

I need to solve this using Python. I'm going to do it using Euler's method.

Some initial conditions:

u(x,0) = e^(-x^2 / 2*sigma^2)

sigma = 0.1

du(x,0) / dt = 0

du(x,0) / dx = -100x*u(x,0)

_________

What I've figured, is that in order to implement Euler I need to use the u_dot, v_dot and w_dot as a vector of your RHS. So you use this do calculate the next time step since

U(u,v,w)n+1 = U(u,v,w)n + dt*RHS(u_dot,v_dot,w_dot)

u_dot being du/dt btw

However, I have no idea how to actually do this, I'm completely thrown :(
I've been trying to get somewhere on paper and on the computer coding and neither has really given me anything I can use. How do I find U(u,v,w)n for a start?? and the RHS is d^2u/dt^2 i think.. How am I ever going to put that into python :S :S :S??

Any help and hints would really be helpful the deadline is coming up soon and I'm very stumped here.

Cheers all

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, everywhere I look the wave function equation is written d^2u / dt^2 = c^2 * d^2u / dx^2

I have no idea why the one in my question is different. Any ideas?

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle. It describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a certain time.

2. How is a wave function solved computationally?

A wave function is typically solved computationally using quantum algorithms and computer programs that simulate the behavior of quantum systems. These programs use mathematical equations and algorithms to calculate the probabilities of different states of a particle.

3. What are the benefits of solving wave functions computationally?

Solving wave functions computationally allows for the study and understanding of quantum systems that are too complex to be solved analytically. It also enables the prediction and simulation of quantum phenomena such as superposition and entanglement.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve wave functions computationally?

Some common techniques used to solve wave functions computationally include the variational method, the Monte Carlo method, and the density matrix method. Each of these methods has its own advantages and is suited for different types of quantum systems.

5. What are some applications of solving wave functions computationally?

Solving wave functions computationally has a wide range of applications, including in quantum chemistry, material science, and quantum computing. It can also help in the development of new technologies and materials based on quantum principles.