Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Solve x=Asin(ct) and y=Bsin(dt) for the period of the system of two equations

1. Feb 25, 2017 #1
    I have been trying figure out how to solve the the period of the system of the two equations in the system. I have been searching for examples but this specific topic isn't documented on the internet very well or I'm not very good and searching. Any help would be appriciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try posting a specific question in the homework section.

4. Feb 25, 2017 #3
    It's not homework. And the above equations are the specific problem.

5. Feb 25, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is homework-like. It is unclear what you mean. Two separate systems with their own period? That is a standard textbook question. Do you look for a common period? Then the smallest common multiple (if existing) will be interesting.

6. Feb 25, 2017 #5
    Each equation has its own period. That is not an issue, there is also a sequence of times where both equations simultaneously repeat.

x(t+Tx)=x(t)
    y(t+Ty)=y(t)

x(t+Ts)=x(t)
    y(t+Ts)=y(t)

I am looks for Ts a time that satisfies both equations simultaneously.

Sorry for the unclear question.

7. Feb 25, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Then you should use different symbols for the periods.

See above: the smallest common multiple (if it exists) will do the job. If it doesn't exist, there is no such period.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted