Solvents for removing paraffin oil from lithium foil

  • Thread starter Thread starter dcay
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    cleaning Lithium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
dcay
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I've recently encountered the problem of cleaning paraffin oil off a lithium foil. Unfortunately, I am no chemist, and thus am not too sure what will and will not react with the lithium itself (which is something I need to avoid). I had a look for possible solvents that I could use and the best bet I came up with was heptane. If anyone knows a bit more about what I could possibly use (scientific papers just brush over that part of the experiments, which makes me think it's fairly standard), that would be really great!

Thanks,
-dcay

edit: I should quickly point out that I realize that this question involves lithium metal to a certain degree, but I wasn't quite sure from the posting rules whether I would be allowed to ask this question, so please feel free to delete the thread if it is not permitted.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Heptane sound good, a maybe cheaper alternative is petrol ether. You could also try toluene. You should never use halogenated hydrocarbons, like methylene chloride, as they tend react explosively with alkali metals.
 
Hi,Thanks for the quick reply, DrDu. I think I'll try petrol ester like you suggested.

Thanks,
-dcay