Solving a collision question, is there enough information?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 0.6 kg puck and the laws of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. The problem presents 3 equations but 4 unknowns, making it unsolvable. The answers given are 0.5 m/s, 0.65 m/s, and 0.34 m/s, but it is noted that there is not enough information given to solve the problem accurately. It is suggested that the missing information may be the mass of the other object involved.
pkc111
Homework Statement
See Q7 below about 0.6 kg puck.
Relevant Equations
Law of conservation of momentum and law of conservation of kinetic energy for elastic collisions.
See working attached.

My problem is that I have come up with 3 equations but 4 unknowns (mq, up, vp, vq). Is this problem solvable?

The answers say:
a) 0.5 m/s b) 0.65 m/s and c) 0.34 m/s

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 83
Physics news on Phys.org
pkc111 said:
Homework Statement:: See Q7 below about 0.6 kg puck.
Relevant Equations:: Law of conservation of momentum and law of conservation of kinetic energy for elastic collisions.

See working attached.

My problem is that I have come up with 3 equations but 4 unknowns (mq, up, vp, vq). Is this problem solvable?

The answers say:
a) 0.5 m/s b) 0.65 m/s and c) 0.34 m/s

Many thanks
You are right, there's not enough information. It is suspicious that you are only given one mass and not even asked for the mass of the other. This suggests to me you were supposed to be told both masses.

Edit: to get the given answers, Q has to have mass almost exactly 0.7kg. Case closed.

Thanks haruspex!

1. What is a collision question?

A collision question is a type of problem in which two or more objects collide with each other and the goal is to determine the resulting motion or outcome of the collision.

2. How do I know if there is enough information to solve a collision question?

In order to solve a collision question, you need to have certain information such as the masses of the objects, their initial velocities, and the type of collision (elastic or inelastic). If you have all of this information, then there is enough information to solve the problem.

3. What are the different types of collisions?

The two main types of collisions are elastic and inelastic. In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved, meaning that the total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same. In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and some energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

4. How do I solve a collision question?

To solve a collision question, you can use the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. First, you will need to write out the equations for these principles. Then, plug in the known values and solve for the unknowns.

5. Can I solve a collision question without knowing the masses of the objects?

No, the masses of the objects are crucial in solving a collision question. Without knowing the masses, you will not be able to calculate the final velocities of the objects after the collision. Therefore, it is necessary to have this information in order to solve the problem.