Solving a linear system of equations

In summary, the vectors (1,0,-1), (1,1,1), and (3,1,-1) are being checked for span in R^3 using a linear combination. The solution process involves finding a solution to the linear system of equations, with the goal of proving that the vectors are linearly independent. If no other solution can be found other than setting the coefficients to 0, then the vectors are linearly independent and they span R^3.
jesuslovesu
Span of vectors in R3

Homework Statement

u1 = (1,0,-1)
u2 = (1,1,1)
u3 = (3,1,-1)
Determine whether the vectors span R^3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to determine if the vectors span R^3(or maybe i dont). In this case checking if I can find a linear combo for (1,0,0)

Step 1:
1 = a + b + 3c
0 = 0 + b + c
0 = -a + b - c

Step 2:
b = -c

Step 3:
1 = a - c + 3c
1 = a + 2c

Step 4:
a = b -c
a = -2c

Step 5:
1 = (-2c) + 2c
1 = 0

Now with 1 = 0, I would think that the linear system of equations cannot be solved.

**Solving this problem with my graphing calculator I get the same answer, however my book states that these three vectors do indeed span R^3. Why is that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for whether or not linear combinations of the vectors equal each other. So

c_1 (1,0,-1)^T + c_2 (1,1,1) + c_3 (3,1,-1) = 0

Can you find any solution to that other than c_1=c_2=c_3=0? If not the vectors are linearly independent, and you have one condition of span down. What is the other?

What is a linear system of equations?

A linear system of equations is a set of equations that can be written in the form of ax + by = c, where a, b, and c are constants and x and y are variables. The goal of solving a linear system of equations is to find the values of x and y that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

What methods can be used to solve a linear system of equations?

There are several methods that can be used to solve a linear system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for different types of systems.

How do I know if a linear system of equations has a solution?

A linear system of equations has a solution if the equations intersect at a single point. This means that the values of x and y that satisfy one equation will also satisfy the other equation(s) in the system. If the equations do not intersect, the system has no solution. If the equations overlap, the system has infinitely many solutions.

What is the purpose of solving a linear system of equations?

The purpose of solving a linear system of equations is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system. This can be useful in many real-life applications, such as calculating the optimal solution to a problem or determining the intersection point of two lines.

Can a linear system of equations have more than two variables?

Yes, a linear system of equations can have any number of variables. However, in order to solve the system, the number of equations must be equal to the number of variables. This means that for a system with three variables, you would need at least three equations to find a unique solution.