1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a Piecewise Schrodinger equation

Tags:
  1. Jun 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was trying to solve the time-independent Schrodinger's equation for this well: http://i.imgur.com/C9QrvkX.png
    First I tried to look at cases where the energy of a particle is ##E < V_1##.

2. Relevant equations
    Schrodinger's equation:
    $$-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\psi(x) - V(x)\psi(x) = E\psi(x)$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought the normal way to deal with these square barriers is to break the equation up piece-wise and then match the conditions at the boundary. But in region III, there's a problem. Schrodinger's equation requires an exponential solution because ##V_1>E##. The wave function is

$$\psi_{III} (x) = Fe^{-\mu x} + Ge^{\mu x},$$

where ##\mu = \frac{\sqrt{2m(V_1-E)}}{\hbar}##. But the boundary condition requires that at ##x = a_3##, ##\psi_{III} (a_3) = 0##. This isn't possible unless either F = G = 0, or the wave function is actually a sin/cos wave function here. What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2017 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Are you sure? How about ##F=\exp \mu a_3## and ## G=-\exp -\mu a_3##?

4. Jun 7, 2017 #3
    Doh, I didn't think hard enough. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted