Solving a Recursive Multivariable Equation

In summary, this individual is looking for a closed form solution to a recursive equation that they have been unable to solve in mathematica.
BobbyOcean
I am looking for a solution to a multivariable recursive formula as follows:

Define:
Initial Conditions:
a(1,0)=-3, a(2,0)=2, a(n,0)=0 for n≠1,2
Recursive Formula:
a(n,k)=(4n+1)a(n,k-1)-4a(n-1,k-1)

Find a formula in terms of n and k for a(n,k).

This is my first post and so I may have chosen the wrong category. This seems to be a differential equation problem since most single variable recursive formulas are solved using some series or differential equations. For this problem I am quite stuck. I have already tried to use (possibly incorrectly) mathematica to solve it for me, but the program failed to solve it.

If anyone has any insight or knowledge on solving general recursive equations, I would be most appreciative. Even a proof that no such function exists would be really helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried it and I found that there should be another condition w.r.t. to k too.

Thought I would post that I solved the recursive equation.

For those that wish to know,

Start by defining some infinite dimensional vectors:

[itex]
V_0=(-3,2,0,0,0,0,...)
[/itex]

[itex]
V_1=(-15,30,-8,0,0,0,...)
[/itex]

In general,

[itex]
V_k=(a(1,k),a(2,k),...)
[/itex]

Notice, if we define the linear operator [itex]T[/itex] as

[itex]
T=\begin{matrix}5&0&0&0&\cdots\\-4&9&0&0&\cdots\\0&-4&13&0&\cdots\\0&0&-4&17&\cdots\\0&0&0&-4&\cdots\\ \vdots&\vdots&\vdots&\vdots&\ddots\end{matrix}
[/itex]

then we have,

[itex]
V_n=T^{(n)}V_0
[/itex]

Solving the entries of [itex]T^{(n)}[/itex] is a few simple induction arguments and thus we arrive at the final equation, which is:

[itex]\displaystyle a(n,k)=\frac{-3}{(n-1)!}\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \binom{n-1}{i} (4i+5)^k (-1)^i+\frac{2}{(n-2)!} \sum_{i=0}^{n-2}\binom{n-2}{i} (4i+9)^k (-1)^i[/itex]

Please excuse any typos. I verified the equation is correct in mathematica.

I was hoping the closed form solution would be nice looking. Oh well.

Well, thanks for reading my post.

1. How do I know if a multivariable equation is recursive?

A multivariable equation is recursive if one or more variables appear on both sides of the equation, creating a cycle.

2. What is the process for solving a recursive multivariable equation?

The first step is to identify the recursive variable and isolate it on one side of the equation. Then, substitute the expression for the variable into the other side of the equation. This will create a non-recursive equation that can be solved using standard algebraic techniques.

3. Can a recursive multivariable equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a recursive multivariable equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the same equation can have multiple sets of values for the variables that satisfy it.

4. Is there a specific method or formula for solving recursive multivariable equations?

No, there is no one formula or method for solving recursive multivariable equations. The process may vary depending on the specific equation and variables involved.

5. Are there any tips for making the process of solving recursive multivariable equations easier?

One tip is to carefully simplify the equation by combining like terms and using algebraic properties before attempting to solve. Additionally, keeping track of the recursive variable and its substitutions can help in the solving process.