Solving Ceiling Fan Woes | Home Improvement

• Thread starter rsk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan
In summary: It's possible that a thin layer of dust on the fan blades is reducing the fan's lift, causing the fan to malfunction.
rsk
There are three ceiling fans in my flat - one in the living room and one in each of the two bedrooms.
Two of them make wonderful breezes. The other one, in the main bedroom, seems to cut through the air without disturbing it at all. I've looked closely at them and they all seem to be the same design, blades the same size, no notable difference in angling or anything else I can see. It's not my imagination or perception, I tried holding a thin string in each room and in two of them it flutters wildly, in the main bedroom it hardly moves.

What should I be looking for? A standing fan? Or is there an easy fix you can suggest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the distance from the fan blades to the ceiling the same for all three?

Likes rsk
As far as I can tell, yes - they seem to be identical fittings

Try shifting your furniture around to see if the current arrangement is causing dead zones?

Likes rsk
Maybe that specific one spinning reverse?

Likes russ_watters, BillTre, rsk and 1 other person
I have been thinking aboutthat (dead zones), about room size and so on and wondering what the physics of that looks like, trying to picture how to change or disprupt that. The living room is much bigger, but the two bedrooms are pretty similar in size and layout so I don't think it's that because in the other room there's no problem.

They are all spinning the same way, all seems to have blades tilted the same way and I can see no sign of a reverse switch anywhere - but then I'm in a place where it's unlikely to be cold, ever.

I've tried varying the speed to see if there's an optimum but no difference. I am completely mystified.

Last edited:
Now I'm really puzzled. I found this, which mentions both getting stuck in some kind of vortex loop and the need to keep dust off blades.
So I was going to go in there with something to wave underneath it to disrupt the vortex, but first decided to give the blades a wipe. I can't see the top of them, but can reach up. They didn't seem particularly thick with dust but, lo and behold! there now seems to be a good breeze coming from it.

Can dust really make such a difference? Or maybe, in tugging it to reach and wipe the blades I've re-aligned something somewhere?

Hard to say. Could have been this guy. :oldbiggrin:

Chaos-Butterfly-Man.jpg

Likes NTL2009, rsk and hutchphd
rsk said:
Can dust really make such a difference?
Apparently yes.
Small fans and large, dusting the blades seems to dramatically improve output.

A clean fan slices through the air, creating lift, which, in a ceiling fan's case, results in axial flow (parallel to the axis).

Contrarily, I'd assume a dusty fan increases the stagnant layer so much that the fan stops slicing through the air and just starts acting like a blunt baseball bat. This won't produce much lift (axial flow), but will start the air moving concentrically (tangential to the fan tips) - a whirlpool with no down flow.

At least, that's my guess.
1638465264898.png

Last edited:
Likes rsk
It doesn't take much sleet to really screw up an airplane wing. Maybe its the same ?

Likes rsk
hutchphd said:
It doesn't take much sleet to really screw up an airplane wing. Maybe its the same ?
True, although the reason I didn't get into that is because an airplane wing's lift is largely reliant on its airfoil shape - whereas most fan blades (esp. ceiling fans) are flat, i.e. rectangular in cross-section.

Likes russ_watters, rsk and hutchphd
Try introducing some kind of smoke source (like a stick of incense or a cigarette into the room.
This should allow you to see what the air flows are doing with and without the fan.

Likes rsk, Keith_McClary and Borg
Well, I really am still amazed that a thin layer of dust could make so much difference. I slept under it last night, the first time I haven't needed aircon (and I really don't like sleeping with the air con on).
This weekend I'll give the other two a quick clean as well, just in case there's any gain there.

Likes 256bits and berkeman
I watch a TV show called Air Disasters sometimes. It's like a high-tech detective story every week. One of the things I've seen is that a very small amount of roughly placed ice can pretty much destroy the lift of an airplane wing. One commentator said that if the wing were covered with low-grit sandpaper it would likely crash on takeoff.

Last edited:
Likes rsk and 256bits
phinds said:
I watch a TV show called Air Disasters sometimes. It's like a high-tech detective story every week. One of the things I've seen is that a very small amount of roughly placed ice can pretty much destroy the lift of an airplane wing. Once commentator said that if the wing were covered with low-grit sandpaper it would likely crash on takeoff.
Rime ice, or frost on a wing, - extra drag and reduced left, around 30%.
Reduce payload, increase takeoff speed and runway length.
Stall speed is increased.
De-ice the wing.

The crash part may be a bit extreme to the point of fearmongering for the traveling public who have booked a flight with winter conditions.
Pilots deal with this every day, and compensate for it.

In inclement weather, planes are usually grounded until conditions improve.

Likes rsk
rsk said:
Well, I really am still amazed that a thin layer of dust could make so much difference. I slept under it last night, the first time I haven't needed aircon (and I really don't like sleeping with the air con on).
This weekend I'll give the other two a quick clean as well, just in case there's any gain there.
Surprised as you are.
Unless you had an inch layer of dust.

Likes rsk
I'll be a bit more scared of flying now...

Likes 256bits
Again though, most fan blades (except higher-end) are not airfoils - their cross-section is of constant thickness (some may have a curve, but many are simply rectangles).

Likes rsk
rsk said:
I'll be a bit more scared of flying now...
No need.
Pilots are a well trained bunch of people.

Likes rsk
256bits said:
No need.
Pilots are a well trained bunch of people.
Rather I should say commercial pilots who fly and hone their skills every day.

Likes rsk
256bits said:
Surprised as you are.
Unless you had an inch layer of dust.
Same here. It's difficult for me to imagine that a very thin layer of dust would make much of a difference.

Mark44 said:
Same here. It's difficult for me to imagine that a very thin layer of dust would make much of a difference.
I think y'all are underestimating both how much dust accumulates, and how much it alters air flow.

DaveC426913 said:
I think y'all are underestimating both how much dust accumulates, and how much it alters air flow.
To repeat what @256bits said, unless the dust is an inch thick, I don't see how it's going to make a big difference.

Mark44 said:
To repeat what @256bits said, unless the dust is an inch thick, I don't see how it's going to make a big difference.
I thought the same. They were dusty, no doubt, but it didn't seem like a thick layer. I thought 'well that won't make much difference' as I got down off the bed and went to switch the fan back on and wondering what to try next. I was astounded when I felt the breeze. I cannot believe that so little dust could make such a big difference, but unless it's fan fairies at work, there isn't another explanation.

Likes berkeman

1. How can I stop my ceiling fan from making noise?

To stop your ceiling fan from making noise, first make sure all the screws and bolts are tightened. If the noise persists, try cleaning the blades and motor housing to remove any dust or debris that may be causing friction. If the noise still continues, it may be time to replace the fan's bearings.

2. Why is my ceiling fan not working?

There could be several reasons why your ceiling fan is not working. First, check the power source and make sure it is connected and turned on. If the power is on and the fan still does not work, check the fan's pull chain or remote control to make sure it is set to the correct setting. If those are not the issue, there may be a problem with the fan's wiring or motor, and it may need to be repaired or replaced.

3. How do I balance my ceiling fan?

To balance your ceiling fan, first turn off the power and let the blades come to a complete stop. Then, use a balancing kit or attach small weights to the top of the blades until the fan runs smoothly. You can also try rotating the blades 180 degrees to see if that helps with balance. If the problem persists, it may be an issue with the fan's motor or blades, and a professional should be consulted.

4. How can I change the direction of my ceiling fan?

To change the direction of your ceiling fan, look for a switch on the fan's motor housing. This switch will allow you to change the direction of the blades, either clockwise or counterclockwise. In the summer, the fan should rotate counterclockwise to create a cool breeze, and in the winter, it should rotate clockwise to circulate warm air.

5. Can I install a ceiling fan myself?

While it is possible to install a ceiling fan yourself, it is recommended to hire a professional for safety and to ensure proper installation. If you do choose to install it yourself, make sure to turn off the power and follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully. It is also important to have proper tools and equipment for the job.