Solving Dirac Algebra Arithmetic

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Dirac notation to solve for a general 2 qubit state with a measurement operator. The process involves converting the notation to matrices and column vectors, but there is a simpler way to directly solve for the desired result. This involves using the projection operator M to span the space of states and obtaining the end result through manipulation of the notation.
43arcsec
I have a question regarding the Dirac notation arithmetic. Below is a measurement of a general 2 qubit state with the measurement operator M=|0><0| ⊗ I , where I is the identity operator. To go from equation (2) to equation (3), I've been converting all the Dirac notation to matrices and column vectors and then carrying out the arithmetic, but this is very cumbersome. Is there a more simple way to go through the arithmetic with the Dirac notation to directly solve (2) for (3) instead of first converting? Thanks for looking.

Prob = <ψ|M† M |ψ > (1)
= (α ∗ <00| + β ∗ <01| + γ ∗ <10| + δ ∗ <11|) (|0><0| ⊗ I) (α |00>+ β |01>+ γ |10>+ δ |11>) (2)
= (α ∗ <00| + β ∗ <01|) (α |00>+ β |01>) (3)
= |α|^2 + |β|^2 (4)

Physics news on Phys.org
##M## is clearly a projection onto the space spanned by states on the form ##|0x\rangle = |0\rangle \otimes |x\rangle##. As such, it should be clear that
$$
|\phi\rangle = M|\psi\rangle = \alpha |00\rangle + \beta |01\rangle
$$
and therefore ##\langle \phi| = \langle \psi| M^\dagger = \alpha^* \langle 00| + \beta^* \langle 01|##, leading directly to your end result.

1. What is Dirac Algebra Arithmetic?

Dirac Algebra Arithmetic is a mathematical framework developed by Paul Dirac in the early 20th century to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It is a set of mathematical rules and principles used to solve equations involving matrices and spinors.

2. Why is Dirac Algebra Arithmetic important?

Dirac Algebra Arithmetic is important because it allows for the accurate description and prediction of the behavior of particles on a quantum level. It has been used in many areas of physics, including particle physics, quantum field theory, and condensed matter physics.

3. What are the key components of Dirac Algebra Arithmetic?

The key components of Dirac Algebra Arithmetic include the use of matrices to represent physical quantities, the use of spinors to describe the spin of particles, and the use of the Dirac equation to describe the dynamics of particles with spin.

4. How is Dirac Algebra Arithmetic different from other mathematical frameworks?

Dirac Algebra Arithmetic is different from other mathematical frameworks in that it takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and wave-particle duality. It also includes the concept of spin, which is not present in classical mechanics.

5. What are some applications of Dirac Algebra Arithmetic?

Dirac Algebra Arithmetic has many applications in physics, including the study of subatomic particles, the behavior of electrons in materials, and the description of quantum fields and their interactions. It has also been used in the development of quantum computing and other technologies.