Solving Extinction and Reddening in Photometric Analysis of M5 Globular Cluster

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter taylrl2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Extinction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
taylrl2
I am currently writing up a photometric analysis of globular cluster M5 which I am doing from a set of images i have taken in the B,V and R bands. The CMD i have produced is obviously too red and faint due to the effects of extinction and reddening. As I am trying to calculate a distance using the luminosity of the tip of the RGB this effect is quite crucial. I know its E(B-V) that i need to calculate but i can't for the life of me think how to do it, any ideas? Thanks
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It sounds like an instrument problem to me. Have you taken another set of images?
 
Thanks, the NED looks like its got just what I need. Brilliant now I can get this typed up. Thanks once again uve made my week!