1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving for a variable inside the error function?

1. May 2, 2013 #1
    i need to solve for a variable inside the error function on excel, is there an opposite function i can use to accomplish this?
    example: y = sqrt(x-t) -> x = t+y^2
    except instead of a sqrt( ) I have erf( )

**this is not a math class so I don't have to get into breaking it down into the integration, I'm just looking for a way to quickly rearrange the equation in excel (I'm posting this here because I've only come into contact with the error function in physics classes where we DID use the integration/taylor series)

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There is an inverse, denoted erf-1, but it won't be that simple to use, as it's typically given as a Maclaurin series. See this wiki article.

4. May 2, 2013 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depending on the context you could use excel solver to do this

5. May 2, 2013 #4
    does erf^-1(erf(function)) = function?

6. May 2, 2013 #5
    ^ wolframalpha says yes, I think this may solve everything, thanks!

7. May 2, 2013 #6
    damn, excel doesn't recognize the inverse error function, is there a way around that?

8. May 2, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As others have indicated, you can use the EXCEL Solver tool. Alternatively, you can consult handbooks of mathematical functions and find approximate formulas for erf^(-1) of various degrees of accuracy, then program these into your calculator/computer.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted