Complex Integral to error function

In summary, the conversation discusses an integral involving complex numbers and a change of variables. The user is interested in writing the integral in terms of the error function, but has questions about the limits of integration and the ability of the error function to take and produce complex values. The expert suggests using a series or a computer algebra system to evaluate the complex error function and also raises the question of whether the limit of the integral exists.
WWCY

Homework Statement

I have an integral

$$\int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{-(jp - c)^2} \ dp$$

where j and c are complex, which I'd like to write in terms of ## \text{erf}##

I'd like to know what would happen to the integral limits as I make the change of variables ##t = jp - c##.

1) As ##p## tends to negative infinity, am I allowed to write the lower limit of the integral simply as ##-\infty##?

2) When ##p = 0##, the upper limit becomes ##t = -c##, which is a complex number. Does this mean that I am unable to write the integral as an error function?

Many thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:

Homework Statement

I have an integral

$$\int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{-(jp - c)^2} \ dp$$

where j and c are complex, which I'd like to write in terms of ## \text{erf}##

I'd like to know what would happen to the integral limits as I make the change of variables ##t = jp - c##.

1) As ##p## tends to negative infinity, am I allowed to write the lower limit of the integral simply as ##-\infty##?

2) When ##p = 0##, the upper limit becomes ##t = -c##, which is a complex number. Does this mean that I am unable to write the integral as an error function?

Many thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In you change the variable to ##t = jp-c## the limits are ##-j \, \infty-c## and ## j\, 0 -c##, so you are integrating along a straight line parallel to the imaginary ##t##-axis.

You can certainly write the integral in terms of the error function (depending on exactly how you define ##\text{erf}(\cdot)##).

Thank you for your response!

Ray Vickson said:
In you change the variable to ##t = jp-c## the limits are ##-j \, \infty-c## and ## j\, 0 -c##, so you are integrating along a straight line parallel to the imaginary ##t##-axis.

You can certainly write the integral in terms of the error function (depending on exactly how you define ##\text{erf}(\cdot)##).

The only ##\text{erf}(x)## I know of is ##\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{0}^{x} e^{-t^2} \ dt##, but this seems to only take real limits (unless I am mistaken). Is it possible, then, to write it in this form? If not, which form of error function should I use?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

WWCY said:
The only ##\text{erf}(x)## I know of is ##\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{0}^{x} e^{-t^2} \ dt##, but this seems to only take real limits (unless I am mistaken). Is it possible, then, to write it in this form? If not, which form of error function should I use?

The function ##\text{erf}(z)## for complex ##z## is defined just by replacing ##x## by ##z## in the integral above. See, eg.,
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Erf.html

Of course, one needs to pick a path from ##0## to ##z##, but the integral is independent of the chosen path, because ##\exp(-t^2)## is analytic in the complex ##t##-plane.

WWCY said:

You should write it as ##\lim_{N \to \infty} I_N,## where
$$I_N = \int_{-N}^0 e^{-(j p - c)^2} \, dp,$$
and then worry about whether ##I_N## has a finite limit as ##N \to +\infty.##

Ray Vickson said:
You should write it as ##\lim_{N \to \infty} I_N,## where
$$I_N = \int_{-N}^0 e^{-(j p - c)^2} \, dp,$$
and then worry about whether ##I_N## has a finite limit as ##N \to +\infty.##

I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to say here. If I leave the integral as it is, how do I evaluate it analytically without use of the erf?

Ray Vickson said:
The function ##\text{erf}(z) ## for complex ##z## is defined just by replacing ##x## by ##z## in the integral above. See, eg.,
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Erf.html

Does this mean that erf is able to take and produce complex values (i.e. ##\text{erf} (x + iy)##)?

If so, is there a way to write a complex erf in real and imaginary parts? I ask as I'm interested in calculating the absolute value of the complex erf (or the original integral to be exact).

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

WWCY said:
I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to say here. If I leave the integral as it is, how do I evaluate it analytically without use of the erf?
Does this mean that erf is able to take and produce complex values (i.e. ##\text{erf} (x + iy)##)?

If so, is there a way to write a complex erf in real and imaginary parts? I ask as I'm interested in calculating the absolute value of the complex erf (or the original integral to be exact).

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

Yes. you can compute ##\text{erf}(x+iy)##. One way would be to use the series given in the link I provided. Most computer algegra systems (such as Mathematica or Maple---the one I use) can do it easily. For example, here is a screen shot of what I get using Maple (which uses I for ##\sqrt{-1}##):

r:=erf(2+3*I); <---input
r := erf(2 + 3 I) <-- echoed output

> evalf(r); <-- input --- means "floating-point evaluation

-20.82946143 + 8.687318271 I <---- output at standard default accuracy

> evalf[50](r);

-20.829461427614568389103088451981112874439035666354 +

8.6873182714701631444280787545418715530519896486487 I <----- 50 digit accuracy

Anyway, the definition of an improper integral such as yours is
$$\int_{-\infty}^0 f(p) \, dp = \lim_{N \to \infty} \int_{-N}^0 f(p) \, dp.$$
So, I ask again: how do you know if a limit exists? Certainly the integral is expressible in terms of "erf" for finite ##N##, but it will involve ##\text{erf}(c-iN)##, so an argument having a large imaginary part. Does that have a finite limit? Can you say for sure that the answer does not have the form ##\pm \infty \pm i \infty?##

Ray Vickson said:
So, I ask again: how do you know if a limit exists? Certainly the integral is expressible in terms of "erf" for finite ##N##, but it will involve ##\text{erf}(c-iN)##, so an argument having a large imaginary part. Does that have a finite limit? Can you say for sure that the answer does not have the form ##\pm \infty \pm i \infty?##

I'm not sure I'm able to answer that as the integrand I'm considering is quite complicated. However, this is a smaller problem in the context of a larger issue and I might have taken an unnecessarily complicated route. I'll start another thread writing the problem from scratch.

Thank you so much for your assistance and apologies for the inconvenience.

*edit: j in the original post refers to some complex number. Apologies for the poor notation.

WWCY said:
*edit: j in the original post refers to some complex number. Apologies for the poor notation.

So, we have
$$A=\int_{-\infty}^0 e^{-[(a+ib)p - (r+is)]^2} \, dp, $$
where ##a,b,r,s## are real constants.

If ##b = 0## and ##a \neq 0## you should have no problem expressing the answer in terms of "erf", and the answer ##A## is decidedly finite. However, if ##b \neq 0## you could potentially be in trouble, and the convergence issue raises its ugly head. I won't tell you the answer, just tell you to be careful.

Last edited:

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve on a complex plane. It is similar to a regular integral, but the function being integrated is defined on a complex plane instead of a real number line.

2. What is the error function?

The error function, denoted as erf(x), is a special function used in mathematics, statistics, and physics. It is defined as the integral of the Gaussian distribution from 0 to x. It is commonly used to calculate the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range.

3. What is the relationship between complex integrals and the error function?

The complex integral to error function is a specific type of complex integral that is used to evaluate the error function. It involves integrating a complex function over a certain path on the complex plane, and the result is equivalent to the value of the error function at a specific point.

4. How is the complex integral to error function calculated?

The complex integral to error function is calculated using various techniques, such as the Cauchy integral formula and the residue theorem. These techniques involve breaking down the complex integral into simpler parts and using known formulas to solve for the final result.

5. What are the applications of the complex integral to error function?

The complex integral to error function has many practical applications, including in probability theory, statistics, and signal processing. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve complex problems involving integrals and error functions.