1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve for a variable inside a summation

1. May 11, 2014 #1
    I need to solve the equation
    MWSnap042.png

for x, where a is a known constant and
    MWSnap043.png .
    The bs are known too.
    What i need to do is sto find for which xs I'll have a specific value of a, eg a=0.5, i.e. solve for x and substitute the a. I believe that the result will be a group of xs and not a single x-value. Also the last two terms of the first equation are the expansion of the squared sum of the product xy
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are n variables "x", x1 to xn, but just one equation. Without additional assumptions or other information, there is no way to solve anything. You can fix all but one to an arbitrary value and then solve the equation for the last one (gives a simple quadratic equation), but I doubt that's what you actually want.

4. May 11, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have variables ##x_1, x_2, \ldots, x_n## but only one equation. Essentially, you have the equation of a quadratic surface in n-dimensional space. There will not be only a single solution, just as a surface does not contain only a single point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted