Solving for Concentration of Ethanoate Ions in Ethanoic Acid Solution

  • Thread starter Thread starter dav1d
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Solubility
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
dav1d
Messages
62
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What concentration of ethanoate (acetate) ions is
expected in a 0.18 mol/L solution of ethanoic
(acetic) acid? Ka is 1.76 x 10-5 at 25°C.


Homework Equations



Ka=products/reactants

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that Ka=1.76 x 10-5=products/reactants but I really don't know what to do from there. I have tried the ICE box method; initial, change, equilibrium but that doesn't seem to work. My textbook only covers the ICE box method and the basic formula, help is appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Show your take with the ICE method, not only it is perfectly suitable here but it also works exactly as expected.
 
hydrogen acetate acetic acid
initial: 0 0 0.18mol/L
change: - +x -x
equilibrium: 0 0+x 0.18-x

1.76x10^-5=(0.18-x)/x
x=.1799999 mol/L

but apparently the answer is 1.8x10^-3 mol/L.

Am I missing something?
 
Last edited:
dav1d said:
hydrogen acetate acetic acid
initial: 0 0 0.18mol/L
change: - +x -x
equilibrium: 0 0+x 0.18-x

1.76x10^-5=(0.18-x)/x

Am I missing something?

Yes, your ICE table is incomplete (what happens to H+ concentration during acid dissociation?) and your Ka expression is umop apisdn.

To some extent it doesn't matter, but the convention is to write dissociation reaction starting with undissociated substance as reactant, and to make ICE table for such a reaction. You reversed everything.
 
so would it be

hydrogen acetate acetic acid
initial: 0 0 0.18mol/L
change: +x +x -2x
equilibrium: x x 0.18-x

1.76x10^-5=(o.18-x)/x^2
that still gives an incorrect 0.18 or -1.76...

What do you mean the Ka is upside down? Isn't it products/reactants?
So how should I write the table using the 'normal' convention?
 
Borek said:
What are products of the dissociation reaction?

hydrogen and acetate are dissociated from the acetic acid.
 
dav1d said:
Isn't it products/reactants?

dav1d said:
hydrogen and acetate are dissociated from the acetic acid.

So if hydronium (not hydrogen!) and acetate are products, why do you put them in denominator?
 
Borek said:
So if hydronium (not hydrogen!) and acetate are products, why do you put them in denominator?

lol I guess I should have written the equation first. will update soon.