Solving for Domain and Asymptotes in Functions f(x) and g(x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Heather W
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Domain
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Heather W
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Please Help with Domain...

Homework Statement



For f(x) Determine Domain, Vertical Asymptote and x and y intercepts. then State and graph the effect of the modifications and sketch the graph of f(x)
Given f(x) = - log3(x – 1) + 2


For g(x) determine domain, Horizontal asymptote and x and y intercepts. then state and graph the effect of the modifications and sketch the graph of g(x)
Given g(x) = 3 - x + 1 - 9
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lets begin with the first problem. To find the domain, consider when the log of something not exist. Let me know if this is what's confusing you.
 
yes that is a confusing part, I know how to find the Domain, but not when involving log
 
Ok, so let's say I have y = log( 2 - x) - 1, and I want to find the domain of the function. You should know that the log of zero, or any negative quantity does not exist. So I would set the function inside of the log equal to zero:

2 - x = 0 ---> x = 2.

Now I know that the function exists as long as x is greater than 2. It does not exist when x is two or less. This is our domain. Does that make sense?