Solving for x in $\frac{6x}{150}$ - $\frac{5x}{150}$ = 1

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathlearn
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mathlearn
Messages
331
Reaction score
0
$\frac{x}{25}$ - $\frac{x}{30}$ = 1 (Happy)

Okay, I see that they can come to a common denominator of,

$\frac{6x}{150}$ - $\frac{5x}{150}$ = 1 , Now to find x; (Happy)
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would begin by finding the LCM of 25 and 30. To do that, consider the prime factorizations:

$$25=5^2$$

$$30=2\cdot3\cdot5$$

Therefore:

$$\text{lcm}(25,30)=2\cdot3\cdot5^2=150$$

So, if we multiply the equation by 150, we obtain:

$$6x-5x=150$$

$$x=150$$

Does that make sense?
 
After getting into common denominator and subtracting,

$\frac{x}{150}$ =1

$\frac{x}{150}*150 =1*150 $

$ x = 150$ , Correct ? (Thinking)
 
Attachments
  • Capmbture.PNG
    Capmbture.PNG
    1.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
mathlearn said:
$\frac{x}{25}$ - $\frac{x}{30}$ = 1 (Happy)

Okay, I see that they can come to a common denominator of,

$\frac{6x}{150}$ - $\frac{5x}{150}$ = 1 , Now to find x; (Happy)

Good work! Now, 6x/150 - 5x/150 = x/150 = 1, so x = 150. :)