1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of 1/[(x^2)*(sqrt(6x+1))]

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\int\frac{dx}{x^{2}*\sqrt{6x+1}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

t=sqrt(6x+1)
    so x=t[itex]^{2}[/itex]-1
    dx=2t dt

so new integral is

2*[itex]\int\frac{t}{(t^{2}-1)^{2}*t}[/itex]

the t's cancel and then i can turn the denominator into (t+1)[itex]^{2}[/itex]*(t-1)[itex]^{2}[/itex]

By partial fractions I get the new integral to be

(1/4)*( [itex]\int\frac{dt}{t+1}[/itex]+[itex]\int\frac{dt}{(t+1)^{2}}[/itex]-[itex]\int\frac{dt}{(t-1)}[/itex]+[itex]\int\frac{dt}{(t-1)^{2}}[/itex] )

so the first and third are easy. The second I make a substitution equal to t+1. The 4th I make a substitution equal to t-1.

After finding all the integrals I replace all the 't's with (sqrt(6x+1)) and my final answer is

(1/4)*((ln|[itex]\sqrt{6x+1}[/itex]+1|)-(ln|[itex]\sqrt{6x+1}[/itex]-1|)-[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{6x+1}+1}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{6x+1}-1}[/itex])

But apparently it's wrong and after checking over it I can't find out where. I am getting super frustrated because even when I KNOW the procedure for a problem, I am more often wrong than right. Does anyone also have any general tips to prevent this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't checked the whole thing yet, but if
    [itex]\displaystyle t=\sqrt{6x+1}[/itex]​
    then
    [itex]\displaystyle x=\frac{t^2-1}{6}[/itex]​

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3
    OK thanks. That's incredibly frustrating that I made such a dumb mistake but at least I know now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook